Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying front and rear sets for my FJ60 very soon. Still debating 4.88 or 5.29 ......but that is not the question. My question is what brand are you guys using out there. I want quiet on road performance and strong off road( not sure if any of yall have broken a set of these before or not)
I just want to get the best parts for the money....are you guys happy with the gears you have bought, and if so who makes them and where did you purchase them?
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have 4:88 Yukon's from Randy's Ring and Pinion, very happy with them and as quite as my OEM 4:11's. 5:29's are gonna be weaker then 4:88's but not sure if its a real issue.

John H

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
LandPimp, what did those 4:88s cost you ?

I've been toying with the idea of a gear change, but I've got the fear factor.....fear of spending a lot of money:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, how much did they run, and did you get new carrier bearings as well? Did you install them yourself, or have them installed by someone and if you had them installed by someone, how much did that run?
I will be getting an ARB locker for the rear, so I am having that installed by a pro and have them do the new ring set at the same time. I might tackle the front one myself.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Reddog said:
LandPimp, what did those 4:88s cost you ?

I've been toying with the idea of a gear change, but I've got the fear factor.....fear of spending a lot of money:D
at the time the fronts(this was on a fj80, reverse cut gears) were OEM only(but repackaged in Yukon box), think the front ran $450, rears were $250 and are just regular old Cruiser gears. Now you can get front 4:56, 4:88 OR 5:29'S aftermarket for normal gear prices for the 80's

John H

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
yardbird said:
Yea, how much did they run, and did you get new carrier bearings as well? Did you install them yourself, or have them installed by someone and if you had them installed by someone, how much did that run?
I will be getting an ARB locker for the rear, so I am having that installed by a pro and have them do the new ring set at the same time. I might tackle the front one myself.
got new bearing and install kits, these ran $100 each. I can't recall the price for the install as we did ALOT of other stuff at the same time, yes I had someone do the install.

But I can tell you how much it gonna cost to regear my fj60. I have the ring and pinions already so no cost there(but if not it would be $250ish an end) I'm adding a ARB in the rear($600) newcarrier bearing and stuff($200 for frt and rear) compressor($200)

total with parts and install is $1450, if I didn't already have the gears it would be another $500ish, so 2k to regear, one ARB(and comp) and install. I'll more than likely do rear wheel bearing and seals at the same time, so maybe another $50. I got a pretty fair deal on the install cost($450) IMOP

John H

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
climbermike said:
Me gots Toyota 4.56.:flipoff2:
and the REALLY scary part is the one set of the gears I'm putting in my fj60 are YOUR old stock rear 80 gears.....I wonder if Kear's Karma is gonna gonna stay with the gears? I hope not...:flipoff2: (I have wanted to do that for ever)

John H

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have yukon from randys also and I set them up myself no problems

I kind of harp on this alot buy the toyota manual and an idiot can do most things on a toyota but I follow the manual step by step and used the specs they gave.

gears have been in for two years and no problems

gears(4.88's 250.00 each set )
master rebuild kit (includes everything 125.00 each)
6sixbottles of gearlube or a couple gallons 30.00
you can do the swap w/just gears for under a grand add a locker and that is a different story

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I just picked up a 4.88 ring & pinion from specter for $167 :D this was thier before christmas sale. you really only need to replace the bearings if they are in poor condition otherwise they can be reused. if you have a low mileage thrid the bearings shoud be fine. setting them up is easy but the tools will cost you about $150 for a dial ind, mag base stand, & a good carrier bearing puller, brass drift & punch set etc.... It's harder than hell finding a good carrier bearing puller, so if anyone finds one that works well let me know.

as far as brand I think they are all made in the same place. I have three different 4.88 R&P's & they all have identical markings on them & the pinion depth that looks to be hand scribed is all in the same hand writing. this goes for a used set I bought, a yukon set & a preicision set that I have.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I heard from a Cruiserhead in the know that *all* aftermarket gear sets for Cruisers are made by the same giant industrial gear-cutter in Italy, in two different grades, then sold by the different suppliers. I can't confirm this but it wouldn't surprise me.

Wish I'd known about the Specter sale, I need two sets of 4.88's for the big boat...dang!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I too am in the market for some new gears (4.88s) and I called a place called west coast differentials or differentials.com and they quoted me a price of $187 per set for thier Sierra Gear. This is the aftermarket gear they make in 4.56, 4.88, and 5.29 only. This gear seems cool also b/c it looks like it has an fj60 on the box. Their advertisements can be seen in a lot of 4x4 mags, just look.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
60seriesguy said:
I heard from a Cruiserhead in the know that *all* aftermarket gear sets for Cruisers are made by the same giant industrial gear-cutter in Italy, in two different grades, then sold by the different suppliers. I can't confirm this but it wouldn't surprise me.

I heard that even my OEM 4:88's in the front of the 80 are made in Italy.

Hmmm, look at this, I think I found the maker...
http://www.masiero.com/
go to catalog, toyota

YIKES they show OEM 6.50's!

YEp this looks like who makes the OEM Toyota gears(and more than likely the aftermarket gears with various brand names) as the part number for my OEM 4:88's is i think the same one I finaly tracked down(after I got mine from Randy's)

John H

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
muddogbob said:
...Sierra Gear. This is the aftermarket gear they make in 4.56, 4.88, and 5.29 only. This gear seems cool also b/c it looks like it has an fj60 on the box. Their advertisements can be seen in a lot of 4x4 mags, just look.
Sierra Gears are great... I have dealt with about 20 sets of them in the last year and have zero problems with them... I run the 4.56's in my truck and really like em. Oh yeah, The FJ60 on the box rules... ARB bumper and all:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
60seriesguy said:
I heard from a Cruiserhead in the know that *all* aftermarket gear sets for Cruisers are made by the same giant industrial gear-cutter in Italy ...
Though I do beleive that most of the gears out there come from the same cutters, I know that there is a few different ones. In fact some Toyota ones will have the TEQ symbol stamped on them. The Sierra gear ones are the same as Precision from what I can tell.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what is the difference in the two?

Since everyone agrees that they are made in the same gear cutter, what is the difference in the two grades? You have the Sierra Gear, and I believe West Coast differentials. They definately have a different price just curious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.