Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you Zuki owners! I am a new Sami owner trying to sort through the electrical mess that is my Sami. I would be grateful for any advice you guys have.

First Question: Is there a way to bypass the dash knob that controls the brightness of the dashboard lights since mine has a short in it? I removed the switch and it has 6 wires (2 are black and I am assuming ground).

Second Question: I have no park lights, tag lights, marker lights, or reverse lights burning. My stop lights still work though. They are all shown on the same fuseable link in the wiring diagram. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance for the help. Hope to have my Zuk turned into a mean trail rig very soon, but have to lights first!!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
get a good test light and ohm meter check all your grounds crawl under the dash and dont come back until you have founld the problem LoL sereuosly check your grounds reall well,:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Check the fuses too.:D

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: Welcome Newbie:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
600 Posts
make sure you have juice coming off of the headlamp/pk light switch when its turned on

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Welcom ! :flipoff2:

First I'd go down to the parts store and grab a haynes manual, IMHO they have better info on the samurai, over the chiltons which seems to focus alot on the sidekicks to....

With the manual it will show the wireing layout.... (and be able to help with most other repair issues)

Your tag/marker/etc. lights all come off the main light switch, so if youve shorted somthing up there chances are you poped a fuse and/or other stuff is buggered up. Or worse someone has already tried to repair it all...

Unhook the switch and knob and pull that stuff down. (or stick your head up there) You should be able to just have it wired direct with no dim'ness control. From my zuke experience if its black its mostl likely a ground, and they run em everywhere which is good but bad at the same time... Buy a cheep-o $10 digital meter you will wonder how you ever got by with out it but if you dont have a meter, id start touching the non-blacks to a hot and see what lights up.... (key on, not running..) With a meter you can probe the ground leads (and hots) and see whats not/working etc....

good luck, buy a manual....

-yag

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Check the ground. I think the backup lights and tail lights share the same grounding point (a little sheet metal screw into the rear tube). The Sami's have lousy grounds on everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts