Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a place to get new Dana inner, joint and outer stub shaft assemblies for $140 for all three pieces. The driver side is only $132....

This is tons cheaper then junkyard prices, when I can find them at a yard

This is for my 97 Ram 1500 daily driver. Front end is a D44 with unit bearings, and has a lock-right and cable actuated CAD.

Now, should I keep these as spares and run my current "old" shafts, or swap them out and leave the "old" ones as spares and run the new?

BTW, the joint is either a 297x or 760x dependind on when the assembly was, well, assembled.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Old shafts ALWAYS last longer than new ones.

I think maybe it's because the caps seize in the bores, making it harder to spit them out

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
honestly Jason, with as new as your truck is, I really doubt there's much strength difference between the 2. I wouldn't change them out, I don't think it'd make much difference.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Grease the ones that are in there. Make sure it is getting to all four caps on both sides and toss the new ones in your toolbox. Make sure you have the tools to change them on the road if need be. L8t.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
reddwarf said:
Old shafts ALWAYS last longer than new ones.

I think maybe it's because the caps seize in the bores, making it harder to spit them out
I actually think there is some truth to this. I blew up a "new" u-joint the first day our after installing it in another set of shafts, swapped back to the old axle shaft and joint and had no problems.

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. No worries about the tools... got a trail swap down to 30 minutes.

Already blew up my originals, and running on my previous spare. Just need to restock the box.

Thanks again, I'll run what I got.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
uglyscout said:

I actually think there is some truth to this. I blew up a "new" u-joint the first day our after installing it in another set of shafts, swapped back to the old axle shaft and joint and had no problems.
Sure seems that way don't it? I wheeled the piss outta the first Dana 44 axle shafts I ever had. AFAIK, they were the original 1974 shafts. After about a year, the first one let go. After that, I always installed new joints, and they wouldn't last more than 2-3 outings.

Mother Nature has been telling us to weld the caps all along (rust) :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts