Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I signed the lease for the new shop today, got some keys and opened it up. I'm going to have the electricity turned on today, and it will get wired for all my 220 stuff this Sunday. The following week I need to get some work benches built. I have a 3x8 top with breaks in it, 1/8" thick for a table along the back wall. Along with my TIG table, the welders and drill press. Then I get to start moving stuff in, and pretty soon build a new frame table. I'm excited. This means I get to start on the frame for my 30 soon.

I'm going to have an open house the third week of July, with free food and free soda.

·
Registered
14,459 Posts
I like the "old school" look to the exterior. I'm taking it that this is a "strip mall" type setup of commercial properties? Any chance of a picture of the whole strip? Is your shop going to be personal or commercial?

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I like the "old school" look to the exterior. I'm taking it that this is a "strip mall" type setup of commercial properties? Any chance of a picture of the whole strip? Is your shop going to be personal or commercial?
Are you toying wtih my mind... I see 0 pics ?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i'm definitely diggin the exterior too. how many sq ft do you have? any back rooms aside from the apparent front office?

looks great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you toying wtih my mind... I see 0 pics ?
Really? I'm using Photobucket links. I will edit the post with a different picture host and see if that works.

Yeah I like the exterior a lot. That, and how close it is to my house was the deciding factor. It is a strip mall type, multi tenant lot. I didn't take a picture of it all, but I will when I go back and post pictures of that too. Its a really nice unit thats only 3 years old. And there are some cool businesses in there. Screen printing obviously right next to me, a vinyl shop, upholstery down the way, some smog and auto shops, a guy that makes stainless kitchen appliances, and a full on machine shop right across from me.

It will be a mix of personal and commercial use. I'll be working on my personal projects after hours. I really needed a place to start building a frame for my 30 Chevy, and I've found it.

i'm definitely diggin the exterior too. how many sq ft do you have? any back rooms aside from the apparent front office?

looks great.
Its a little over 1000 SF. 25.5x40.5. What you see is all I've got. No office really, I'm just going to put a tall desk in for the computer, and shelves below it for clean parts storage. Theres a few shared bathrooms which we get a key to, and they have them cleaned every day. Pretty nice, aside from the fact I have to go somewhere to wash my hands.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$800 a month for the space. Utitlities, the machine shop across from me says will probably be under $100. His is $115 with mills and lathes running all day. Alarm is $29 a month. Internet is $35 a month on their plan if I decide to get it. Insurance is a little over $120, but covers up to $50K in tools if I ever need it, along with slip and fall, and insures the cars inside as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Looks like a nice little shop and the price doesn't seem horrible either. Guess I'm not sure what something like that would run over here, but I would suspect about the same.

You'll have to show us what it looks like with everything in there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CA seems to be more expensive. $.90 a SF and up is standard here. I got a great deal for the first year. A friend of mine in AZ says .$60 a SF is decent there. That was okay here like 10 years ago from what I understand. I'm too young to really know. But my grandfather is renting a space he owns for $.70/SF and he signed that lease about 5 years ago. I'd love to get that space if he would let me. 3800 SF in an awesome location.

I'll take pictures once I get some stuff in there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here in south florida they get any where from $.90 to $ 1.10 a square foot a month. It depends on the age and area. Newer buildings can be even more. Looks like a nice place.

·
Apple
11,695 Posts
So, are you gonna have the Ratsun down there at the opening? I'll be working down in Concord for the next month, I'll swing by and have you take a look at the datsun Dually to see about bagging the rear.

Are you going to carry any parts, or do Fab only? Also, IMO, you should look at putting a small office in there, you can still use the top for storage, and it will keep your paperwork, phone and computer free of debris. Plus, most importantly, it gives you a place to sit down and work shit out, even if it's just a 5x8.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Its not really fair to compare CA to PA or IN. Its not the same. What I am paying is below average. Most warehouse spaces is over $1/SF, and most retail is over $2/SF.

So, are you gonna have the Ratsun down there at the opening? I'll be working down in Concord for the next month, I'll swing by and have you take a look at the datsun Dually to see about bagging the rear.

Are you going to carry any parts, or do Fab only? Also, IMO, you should look at putting a small office in there, you can still use the top for storage, and it will keep your paperwork, phone and computer free of debris. Plus, most importantly, it gives you a place to sit down and work shit out, even if it's just a 5x8.
Yeah it will be there, as well as my 30 Chevy scattered on the floor. The police cruiser will be there too, and probably a muscle car or two.

I will carry some things, but mostly the stuff I commonly use. I don't plan on being a retail store. I will focus on fab alone for the most parts. And I am going to focus most of that towards chassis fab, suspension design, roll cages and bumpers. And sheet metal work.

As far as an office, I am already realizing I don't have the space for it. I'm going to shove a desk and a file cabinet in the corner and call it good. I'll probably be moving within a year. The business is growing fast.

Anyways, we painted some today (finish tomorrow), and got the bench framed out with the steel top from the old shop. Its easily 50 years old, and wavy, but still useful. Still need to build a generic wood top bench.

·
Registered
14,459 Posts
Its not really fair to compare CA to PA or IN. Its not the same. What I am paying is below average. Most warehouse spaces is over $1/SF, and most retail is over $2/SF.
Understood - I was just giving you grief... Your salary is probably likewise factored compared to mine... :flipoff2:

Sweet space no matter what.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts