Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a work in progress for all summer now. Sorry for the lack of progress pictures but after working on the bastard all day long I just didn't feel like taking pictures up to this point. Anyway...

Specs:
36' wide by 32' deep
14' 6" finished ceiling high
big door 10' high by 12' wide
small door 8' high by 10' wide

there are 3 courses of block above grade, its a stepped foundation n the deep part there is a total of 8 courses. We laid close to 700 block, a good big of a the mortar was hand mixed. :eek:

So far I have about $13k into it. When I'm all done I should be around $16,000 completely finished.

Here's the list of stuff I got for free:
all the lumber (less the trusses and about 40 sheets of 5/8" OSB)
all of the conduit and service wire (about 300' of 2/0 copper wire)
all of the Tyvek
all of the singles (16 square) and felt paper
the big garage door
I got the stone delivered for free
had a skid steer and hoe to use for free (just had to pay fuel costs)
haven't paid a dime for labor

Right now I am waiting on more stone (still need 30 tons of #8s and 80 tons of #308 recycled concrete) I already have about 120 tons of #308 in the drive and base of the garage and 20 tons of #8. I've spent way to much on stone. :eek:

Pictures:

It will be nice when I can have the other garage back, right now it's my warehouse.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of my FIL's job is cleaning up job sites, most of the time theres a few pieces of lumber left laying around and a bundle or two of singles. You'd be surprised how fast it adds up. The door is coming from my friend who took it off his garage. The hoe and skid steer come from the same friend who has a concrete company which is also how I got the block work and concrete work done. The wire came from an eletrical contract at the place I used to work at, it was left over from a job at our plant and told be I could have it. Conduit came from my FIL, they needed couplers on the job his boss told him to cut them of 10' sections of conduit. :shaking: So I have a few pieces of conduit all I had to do was buy the couplers.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucky bastart... some folks get all the luck... yer :grinpimp:
It's not what you know it's who you know. Although I can tell you putting the trusses up witout a crane brought the suck. However that was nearly as painful las taking the plywood up the ladder on sheet at a time, About 55 sheets IIRC. I also figured I carried about 3000# of shingles up the ladder as well, I was sore for a few days after that.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Is the floor going to be gravel or are you going to eventually put concrete in there? Working in a shop with a gravel floor sucks IMHO.

Looks good! I only wish I had connections for free stuff like that. I'm building a shop this next summer and I'm not looking forward to the expense.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the floor going to be gravel or are you going to eventually put concrete in there? Working in a shop with a gravel floor sucks IMHO.

Looks good! I only wish I had connections for free stuff like that. I'm building a shop this next summer and I'm not looking forward to the expense.
Yea working on gravel blows, I hope to pour the floor by the end of next month. Right now I'm waiting to get more stone. If you look closely in a few pics you'll see a red chalk line on the block (inside pics) That's the top of the floor, I still have to fill the garage up with #8's 3" below that line.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Got the floor poured today. I have also rough graded the area since I first posted this. I'm going to start putting the doors on tomorrow. I'll post some pics tomorrow if I don't run out of daylight again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Part of my FIL's job is cleaning up job sites,/QUOTE]My cousin is a contractor...I usually go around and pickup the extra block, rebar, plywwood/OSB, and anything else that I might use... My Uncle does concrete. Last month I got 9 yards free concrete, after they brought an extra truck and only used 1 yard out of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you pull a permit out for that? Because last time I checked around here (MA.) you've got to stagger the OSB on shear walls?

Lookin good though, especially that price. :smokin:

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

I got the siding and aluminum work done for the most part on both gable ends and am almost done with the sides.

I promise to get new pics up this week. I just haven't had the daylight to take pics. Hopefully tomorrow when I get home I can get some pics.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you pull a permit out for that? Because last time I checked around here (MA.) you've got to stagger the OSB on shear walls?

Lookin good though, especially that price. :smokin:
Yes I have a permit. Staggering OSB on shear walls is not code in Ohio.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump, so I can post some pictures when I get home tomorrow.

Electric should be in and done this weekend *fingers crossed*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts