Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
please do not destroy decades of information by corrupting content and thread linkbacks :(

i'm all for killing the mobile version and the app as the desktop version is the easiest to use and i fully support making it easy to upload pictures and removing the paywall to do so.

this website functioned when the internet was still dialup based, what has slowed it down now that we are massively faster?

those strange ads that pop up as text hotlinks and fake threads in forums :flipoff2:

This^^^^
This^^^
This^^
This^

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
hell i use my tech threads here as repositories for all kinds of random information.

public comments would be awesome. hell i dunno, at least you aren't sending any extra of your money to the re-elect truehoe for life fund like @Administrator :flipoff2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hosting is cheap now, and setting up an Adsense account to cover costs isn't a big deal (actually it's super easy, it just takes a while).

Setting up a forum takes a while longer. Some of the other aspects of it I couldn't figure out (like how to get HTTPS, so I'm just not running it). There was significant PITA factor dealing with my host (which is one of the biggest ones out there) because they want to charge you extra for every little extra service (dumb shit like to change the page icon, yeah, get fucked, I know what the file is to change it), and if I knew more about them I would never have used them. But if you're just documenting tech (making pages with pictures on it) then it's pretty lickity split.

I chose not to run ads on mine as I don't intend for it to ever really take off, it just fills a niche for the BC/Alberta north community. It costs me money to host and for the domain, so be it, I'm not broke (yet).

Now, if you have tech you want to submit but not in a forum format, I would be willing to make an index/pages for tech on 4x4North and host it there. But then you're just letting some filthy Canadian exploit you all over again. :flipoff2:
All that shit is really easy to setup...I've done it a few times before in the past with vbulletin/wordpress/etc. Plus what I do in my day job helps (I'm in the software world and we host some pretty serious shit).

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Cricket and Your Community Team

So you post this at 1130 this morning and don't bother to return and interact with suggestions and or questions.

Just crickets in the back ground.

This just affirms everyone's fears that you are going to do exactly what we are hoping you won't do.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,510 Posts
I don’t know what time zone they are in, But when I ask them for things they usually do them before 8 AM PST. I don’t think it’s crazy unusual that they have not been back.

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
no, it's a fucking PSA. this is too far along to turn off if they are at the 'announce it' level.

learned something random the other day. Sites like IG and such, that rely on selling ads and shit actually pay content creators because it generates interest that keeps driving people to the site.

now, i fully realize there is no sense in paying people to post on pirate, but removing the paywall for picture hosting purposes and unfucking the intrusive tracker ads would go a long way to bringing back content creators = more google search clicks from the randoms

·
Registered
17,546 Posts
no, it's a fucking PSA. this is too far along to turn off if they are at the 'announce it' level.

learned something random the other day. Sites like IG and such, that rely on selling ads and shit actually pay content creators because it generates interest that keeps driving people to the site.

now, i fully realize there is no sense in paying people to post on pirate, but removing the paywall for picture hosting purposes and unfucking the intrusive tracker ads would go a long way to bringing back content creators = more google search clicks from the randoms
This truly the end of Pirate as we know it.

I'm W.A.G.'ing they're going to change to the format that FSB now uses.

If they indeed use that; everything about Pirate will be gone.

The content; I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
At some point you would think that they would start to get the feeling that they really aren't welcome here.:laughing:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Kill the mobile version so I don't have to force load the desktop version on my phone.

Make it easier to upload photos so I don't have to use a 3rd party hosting service.

Please don't change the format of the desktop site at all. I was pretty active on another forum but stopped visiting entirely after a bad format change. If you fuck it up badly enough I'll stop coming here too.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You guys are just old and set in your ways, they are gonna make this place more scalable and Enhance your experience and 10 other buzz words I can't come up with at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
Ever hear the phrase, if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging? Might want to give that some thought as everything you do fucks shit up even more.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Would it be possible to mirror the site including content and host it independently? It'd be a crime to lose such an internet and 4WD fixture.
-Andy

·
flamethrower
12,597 Posts
So if people stop complaining about site performance will you leave it alone?

Can you guarantee you won't lose years of Tech, hard work and money spent by the contributors?

I'm going to download my threads for safekeeping, but you guys need to back this shit up to the moon before you pull the trigger.

·
Unregistered User
9,026 Posts
If it's anything like what they did on Jeepforum or some of their other sites, it's just going to mean a shittier layout, more ads, and a ton of broken features that will never get fixed.

21 - 40 of 463 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.