Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to drop a Few Photos of the "New" Spidertrax "Pro Series" Housing...

With the Demand for stronger set ups, mostly in the rear, Spidertrax has Modified the current "Pro series" Housing to fit a 10" ring gear, used im most Trophy Trucks...

This housings is built to the same high quality as the "Pro Series" Housing added earlier this year, Every Componet is manufactured from 4130 domestic grade chromoly steel.. every 3-1/2 OD x 1/4" wall 4130 housing tube is Heat Treated to a tensile strength of 150,000 psi....roughly 2-1/2 times the strength of 1026 DOM tubing..
The have re-worked the center adding a .25" top, .25 bottom and .25 to the deepth to accept a 10" ring gear....

with all this beef why stop there, new drive plates for the "Pro Series" Hub kits can now be purchased with a 40 spline plate..

we are now stocking the whole line of the "Pro series" housings and wheel hubs to go with 10" drop outs Which we are also stocking..
These units are built by Gear Works, the choice of most Trophy Truck Drivers..

The actually Third Housing is built by Strange for Gearworks....
You have your choice of Motive Gear, USA Gear and Gear Works has there own Gears... Popular Ratio's are available...

these Drop outs can be purchased in 35 spline, 40 spline sae (SML), large 40 spline, and Trophy truck 36 spline.. (More to come on this :smokin:)

so, Here is the Spider 10 stuff...

what you think ... ??

This is the Original Spider 9 opening..

This is the new Housing opening to accept the 10" Ring Gear..

The Original housing is 11.25 top to Bottom..

The new 10" Housing is only a 1/2" more, .25 on top and .25 on the Bottom..

The orginal Spider 9 had a deepth of 6.5" from Face plate to inside of Front of Housing..

The Spider 10 has a deepth of 6.75" from Face plate to inside of Front of Housing..only a .25 Deeper..

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is some shots of one of the 10" drop outs from Gearworks..
Each one of these units are fitted on a "Diff/Dyno" and go through a Test Run, before shipping...

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
wow bad ass... Just when you think things can't get any better... they do. Can't wait to see these under some rigs, and crossing the KOH12 finish line...

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Are just the tubes heat treated or the whole housing ?

If the whole housing is treated, is the 3rd mounting face machined flat after heat treat ?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
When is someone developing the high pinion 10"?? Seems like the logical next step.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are just the tubes heat treated or the whole housing ?

If the whole housing is treated, is the 3rd mounting face machined flat after heat treat ?
I know that the Housing is CNC Machined after full Assembly of housing, but I believe only the Tubes are heat Treated...

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Maybe Spidertrax can chime in but I think welding to the heat treated tubes is counter productive strength wise. My understanding is the weld and area around it will loose some or all of the beneficial properties gained by the prior heat treatment. I think it would be better to weld all the brackets and tabs on first and then heat treat as an entire piece. I claim to be no expert and could be completely off but thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This new front end looks to be a nice of combination of strength in a lighter package. It splits the void between a 9" and a 14 bolt. So much lighter. A true $10,000 front axle.

But the 10" still uses a 9" arb

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
This new front end looks to be a nice of combination of strength in a lighter package. It splits the void between a 9" and a 14 bolt. So much lighter. A true $10,000 front axle.

I beg to differ. The 10" is stronger by design then the 14blt

If the 14blt was stronger, then you would see them in use on TT. :smokin:

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
So, is the 10" fully custom? Or based off of something else? First I've heard of it - which, of course, isn't saying much of anything...

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
So, is the 10" fully custom? Or based off of something else? First I've heard of it - which, of course, isn't saying much of anything...
Based on the ford 9" and has been used in desert racing for years. Yes very custom :smokin:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Maybe Spidertrax can chime in but I think welding to the heat treated tubes is counter productive strength wise. My understanding is the weld and area around it will loose some or all of the beneficial properties gained by the prior heat treatment. I think it would be better to weld all the brackets and tabs on first and then heat treat as an entire piece. I claim to be no expert and could be completely off but thought it was worth mentioning.
Heat Treating after all welding would be the ultimate choice, as for a boxed Housing and Welding your brackets, Pre-Heat working area to 250F use ER70 Rod or wire..
I am not a expert either, you will loose some of the heat treat but I believe what you keep and gain is more than Regular 1026 DOM..

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Gear Works has a Third/Housing that takes a 4" Carrier Bearing, From what I have been told this would give enough Area to address this issues of Failing area on a 9" ARB..
will ARB build a custom unit to fit, I really dont think so...

I beg to differ. The 10" is stronger by design then the 14blt

If the 14blt was stronger, then you would see them in use on TT. :smokin:
I wish I can Explain the difference's as it was explained to me...
The 10" by far is the superior choice for strength..

I am a axle assembler' by trade not a engineer or Manufator, I flat out love new stuff in our Industry...
I believe that every axle has it place, based off size, strength, wieght and the biggest COST...

If looking for a True RACE application, This is definitely one that I would offer my customers looking for the best edge the could get,
Light, and strong..

1 - 20 of 81 Posts