Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a new truck this weekend. 06 RRS supercharged, Lift kit is already ordered. Not sure if I'm going to keep the 20"s and go with 285/55R-20 or drop to a 19" wheel. :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea Lift kit, don't want to keep her under 30mph!:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yea Lift kit, don't want to keep her under 30mph!:flipoff2:
No speed restriction with LLAMs up to above offroad height. Just an push of a button even when on the move :flipoff2:

No load on the CVs - and normal or lower height when onroad.

Johnson Rods are really old technology and you will have your vehicle jacked up all the time - not good for the suspension.

If you must go the rod route these are a better proposition - normal height when onroad and a higher setting for offroad - far better than Johnson Rods.

Green Oval Experience Land Rover training, Range Rover modifcation

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not worried about Cv wear and tear, if you are stay on road! The RRS at +60mm is considerably closer to the ground than my D1, stock height sucks.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
New shoes, from 275/40-20 to 275/55-20.

Attachments

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BFG A/T KO2

Attachments

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Rods will stop the car going down onto the tyres but at the height required, the drive train and suspension components will require regular replacement.
Yea your right, better stick to the mall parking lot. :shaking: Offroading is just too much ware and tear. :flipoff2: I better not swap out my pulley, it just might put stress and strain on my engine!

Attachments

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No speed restriction with LLAMs up to above offroad height. Just an push of a button even when on the move :flipoff2:

No load on the CVs - and normal or lower height when onroad.

Johnson Rods are really old technology and you will have your vehicle jacked up all the time - not good for the suspension.

If you must go the rod route these are a better proposition - normal height when onroad and a higher setting for offroad - far better than Johnson Rods.

Green Oval Experience Land Rover training, Range Rover modifcation
I'd rather dump the air system and all of issues than spend a few hunski on a black box. Fox shocks headquarters is only 8 miles away, spending money
on a set of custom coilovers is a better direction.

Jeep - Ford - Toyota - Dodge - GMC - Chevy - Truck Suspension | FOX

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LLAMS does what the rods do, but it's electronic with it's own settings to modify the heights.
IMO , No US vendor, no US support, seems way over priced.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'd rather dump the air system and all of issues than spend a few hunski on a black box. Fox shocks headquarters is only 8 miles away, spending money
on a set of custom coilovers is a better direction.

Jeep - Ford - Toyota - Dodge - GMC - Chevy - Truck Suspension | FOX
LLAMS is a lot cheaper than the above option ($AU600). Fox don't have a coil-over option for the L320. The fronts are struts and the rears are air bag in a different location to the shock. Neither of those will convert easily or cheaply to a coil-over setup.

The problem with running at extended height all the time is CV boots don't like it any more than they like full lock turns all the time. Once a CV boot gives up on life the CV joint tends to follow it.

If you go for a selectable option like LLAMS then you're only running taller when you need it. Fixed height rods mean you've got a fixed offset on all ride heights whether you want that or not.
If you go for a fixed height coil option (presuming you can find one) then you're going to lose articulation too as the air springs cross-link to keep wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
98 Posts
As a 6 year owner of a L320 RRS that is used as an offroad vehicle - I do have just a little bit of experience of these vehicles both onroad and offroad - just a little bit more than some Johnny come lately who has only had one of these for 4 weeks.

I think you are more interested in show rather than out of the car park use - noting wrong with the tyres you got but why stay with 20" with their small sidewall height. Why not go with Compmotive 18" rims which will fit your vehicle and go with the appropriate BFG tyres - much more capable off road with their superior and forgiving side wall height.

You seem to know it all and are not interested in advice - so what more can I add other than I hope you have got deep pockets to pay the tow trucks to bring your vehicle home.

Good Luck with it but if you don't want the air suspension why buy a RRS in the first place, sort of defeats the purpose - just get an old Toyota.

Garry

·
Registered
98 Posts
Onroad to offroad in 30 secs

The wheel holes were even deeper than the wheels - even at super extended height

Murray River Mud

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
garrycol:35707578 said:
As a 6 year owner of a L320 RRS that is used as an offroad vehicle - I do have just a little bit of experience of these vehicles both onroad and offroad - just a little bit more than some Johnny come lately who has only had one of these for 4 weeks.

I think you are more interested in show rather than out of the car park use - noting wrong with the tyres you got but why stay with 20" with their small sidewall height. Why not go with Compmotive 18" rims which will fit your vehicle and go with the appropriate BFG tyres - much more capable off road with their superior and forgiving side wall height.

You seem to know it all and are not interested in advice - so what more can I add other than I hope you have got deep pockets to pay the tow trucks to bring your vehicle home.

Good Luck with it but if you don't want the air suspension why buy a RRS in the first place, sort of defeats the purpose - just get an old Toyota.

Garry
So you want me to downgrade my front brakes to fit the 18" wheels?

Real smart old size one.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
So you want me to downgrade my front brakes to fit the 18" wheels?

Real smart old size one.
Nope. The 18" wheels Garry is on about are designed to clear the big brakes.

I can't say that I'd bother with the aftermarket 18's if I owned one. But the option is there. The 20's are only 2" less sidewall than the 1970's 16" and the 20" tyre selection is decent.

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One again this reflects how little you know about these cars. As you are in the US join Range Rover Sport / L320 and you might learn something.

I specifically did not say 18" wheels but mentioned a particular 18" wheel - it fits your brakes.
This is my third Land Rover and nearly 20 years on Pirate. Yea I'm new to the L320 issues. Not new to off road. So how about a little STFU :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts