Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the newer style plastic fuel tanks bolt up into the older XJs? I know that in the 98 XJ they had plastic tanks. My 93 XJ is leaking somewhere in the fuel tank, most likely from rust, so the plastic one would be optimal!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would be worried about the plastic tank breaking easier if it hit a rock. Wouldn't the metal tank be better for offroad?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would be worried about the plastic tank breaking easier if it hit a rock. Wouldn't the metal tank be better for offroad?
I'd rather have a plastic tank so I could pop the inevitable dents out when a rock hits the tank. It's stupid why Jeep put a metal skid and plastic tank in the Wrangler but a plastic skid and metal tank in the XJ.

·
Liquid Iron Ind.
3,536 Posts
Before I raised my plastic tank, I never had a skid on it. It's slid down god only knows how many rock faces, has 1/8" deep gouges in it, and looks like hell. It's never leaked and I still have full fuel capacity.

Now it resides flush with the framerails, so it's no longer a worry of mine.

Plastic tank > metal tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i thought i could convert my dented steel '96 tank with the only clean junkyard tank i could find at the time, a '98 plastic one. However, the fuel pumps are different, the fuel pressure regulators are in different locations, and the electric plugs dont mate up, and the wires have different supplied voltages. It does seem that the tanks would physically interchange though, but otherwise youd have to replace and modify some things to make it happen. I decided it wasnt worth it to change all those things and found a way to blow my tank back to capacity and shape then built a skidplate for it to prevent it happening again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought i could convert my dented steel '96 tank with the only clean junkyard tank i could find at the time, a '98 plastic one. However, the fuel pumps are different, the fuel pressure regulators are in different locations, and the electric plugs dont mate up, and the wires have different supplied voltages. It does seem that the tanks would physically interchange though, but otherwise youd have to replace and modify some things to make it happen. I decided it wasnt worth it to change all those things and found a way to blow my tank back to capacity and shape then built a skidplate for it to prevent it happening again.
Thanks bud, that was the exact answer I was looking for! I guess I will have to stick with the steel tank. :(

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Too bad, my dented 92 tank only holds about 10 gallons now after dropping it on it's fair share of rocks. Good news is the plastic skid kept it from poking a whole and leaking gas everywhere ;)

·
Premium Member
69,478 Posts
when I got ready to replace the one on my '89 (dented to hell) I looked at junkyard tanks, but most had rust in 'em. Instead, I found a new one fairly cheap (about $125 if I recall) Yard wanted $50 and I woulda had to tank it to remove rust, etc.

You might check around, particularly if its a daily driver. I went through my local radiator shop

1 - 9 of 9 Posts