Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey did anyone read the article in the feb. 4wheel and offroad about the new 700r4 tranny. It had a full reverse shift pattern. I was just wondering everyones thoughts about this. We may finally be able to compression break with an auto. So what does everyone think....good or bad?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Yeah, I saw that article, I built the same tranny almost three years ago and had the same problems with the the TCI valve body, the way it comes it sucks, my tranny guy had to modify it so it would work right and have engine braking and shift without breaking the drive train. TCI was no help then, I guess you have to work for a magazine for them to do anything for you. I am happy with it now, but, I don't really need the overdrive anymore because I trailer It mostly, I wish I would have built a th400 for all the trouble I went through to get it to work right.

·
Vendor
1,009 Posts
What problems did you have specifically? I've been through Art Carr's version of a reverse manual TH700 VB which was actually a forward pattern with some downshifts sometimes and no compression braking in 1st gear. That experience has been a joke so far.
I was hoping the TCI VB would be the end of my search.

I too am beginning to wish I'd just used a TH400, since offroad valve bodies are more common and the overdrive is not really necessary anymore.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i emailed them a week or so ago, and they said that they are still putting the finishing touches on the production version.

told me to call them for pricing and so on...
how do people who have dealt with them feel about TCI?
alot of people swear by them, but id like to hear both sides of the story.
what i wanna know is how firm are the shifts at just part throttle cruising? are they always a huge slam no matter what speed or what?
~John

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I had a 4L80E done by TPI, they are mostly a streetrod trans shop and advertise in all the streetrod mags and go to all the big shows. I did it because they were local to save shipping charges 2 ways on a heavy MF. I wasn't happy with them and they wern't all that interested in researching answers for me. My computer was a used GM perf parts unit(made by TCI and rebaged by GM). GM was beyond useless with tech questions regarding it. I made many calls to TCI , they knew that someone else did the trans, and I didn't buy the computer from them. They were great on the phone, and spent much time helping me with problems.

I know that this is one fawken long winded reply, but I have found their customer service to be 1st rate. I wish I had sent the trans to them.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
My dad has a 4L60 behind his big block and has been running the old TCI full manual reverse valve body for a while now. I actually contacted several people (including TCI and Stephen from ORD) this summer about this. With no compression braking in first the TCI vavle body is probably good for a drag racer but did not work for our application.

I talked to Will at TCI this week though and he told me he would swap out what I have for the new valve body with compression braking. He told me Greg The Engineer was heading up this project and is reworking the setup that 4W&OR is using to prevent bleed down and the revised valve body should be available in about a month.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Anyone have experience with TCI reverse pattern manual valve body for TH400. TCI Part number is 221100.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
the way the TCI reverse pattern 700r4 VBs, and probably most of them for that matter are is with alot of line pressure and no engine braking, the increased line pressure helps the trans hold the high horsepower drag cars, mine kept breaking pumps and shifted way too hard, you had to almost completely let off the gas to shift. I guess the lack of engine breaking helps reduce the drag in the tranny, but I dont know much about them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok I'm not exactly clear why everyone wants to run a reverse valve body (P-N-R-1-2-3-4) as opposed to a regular valve body (P-N-R-4-3-2-1). Could someone please clarify this for me?

·
Registered
720 Posts
biggnome said:
Ok I'm not exactly clear why everyone wants to run a reverse valve body (P-N-R-1-2-3-4) as opposed to a regular valve body (P-N-R-4-3-2-1). Could someone please clarify this for me?
Reverse and first are closer to each other.

In a drag car it is also do so that you don't over shift and miss high gear with your foot on the floor.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I actually have seen him drive. I guess that could be a plus. On another note, a stock 700r-4/4L60/4L60E has compression braking in manual third, second and first. They don't have a converter lock-up, because the power for the TCC solenoid runs through the brake switch. But you could always wire up a switch to bypass it so you have full lock-up, which would kill the engine in second or third. Manual first cuts off fluid flow to the TCC. But I digress.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've talked to Will a number of itmes about parts for my TH400 and he has been nothin but helpful. I don't know how the rest of the company is, but he is great.

JMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts