Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im4yotas said:
Can't find a price??
I rarely put prices in my articles unless I need to for the sake of comparing 2 or more things directly.

It dates the article, and then people see it and call and say "Hey, I saw in this article that such-and-such costs so much" and ends up being a pain in the ass for the vendor to explain that they, of course, can change prices up or down as they see fit.

In other words - I put a price in and people look at it like it's a quote.

Call Teraflex or a distributor.

Bill

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
BillaVista said:
I rarely put prices in my articles unless I need to for the sake of comparing 2 or more things directly.

It dates the article, and then people see it and call and say "Hey, I saw in this article that such-and-such costs so much" and ends up being a pain in the ass for the vendor to explain that they, of course, can change prices up or down as they see fit.

In other words - I put a price in and people look at it like it's a quote.

Call Teraflex or a distributor.

Bill

I didn't expect to find it in your article, but I followed both links in the article and couldn't find a price, so I was just hoping somebody could chime in :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Article is great BTW BV. :beer:

I have been on the phone with Tera about this new player. They said that they have about 200 of them in the field (commercial models, not prototypes) with only a handful of problems (allegedly all install errors).

With 200 of them out there, why is it we can't get any people chiming in about their experience. I have searched a bit here and in google and I have found only one single comment, other than BV, that someone is running it without any difficulties. Where the hell are all these 200 lockers??

I am leaning toward picking one up for the front 60 but would like to have some commentary from the bashers first.

BV, you gotta get out there and beat the snot out of yours so you can update your article :D

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Nice write up as always!!!!

One thing that concerns me(and it was addressed breifly in your article) is the cover mounted acctuator. I've never been too fond of that type of design. Puts your locker availability right out in front where it can be damaged too easily. I am not a "drive by brail" type person, but accidents do happen. And loosing your front locker in a place where you need it most would blow!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
So how hard would it be to change the default of the locker? Is this done at the solenoid, or internally?

Reason I ask is it would be nice to run default as open, then get to the trail and switch the default to locked.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Since the default mode is determined by the spring inside of the diff cover this doesn't seem like a trail mod. However the case could be redesigned to make it externally configurable it would seem. Then the problem becomes protecting this extra "switch" at the diff. If you plumbed in a shutoff valve right near the diff in the lock side supply line you could effectively change the default mode and prevent a loss of OBA system or powertank etc from ruining the day. My question is whether you could run this setup without the return spring and therefore have no default and it would simply stay engaged until air was blown the other way?

This locker seems like a neat idea but the shift fork system sure reminds me of the vacuum disconnect shift fork that people hate so much in dana 30 axles :)

Thanks for the article Billa!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I didn't see any mention of the diff covers strength. I saw one side picture and it looked pretty thick. You won't be able to use a common diff gaurde or aftermarket cover, so that cover needs to be strong. Is it up to snuff?

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
E4WKEITH said:
BV, you gotta get out there and beat the snot out of yours so you can update your article :D
Yea - I know! These days it seems I spend almost all my time wrenching and writing and not nearly enough time wheeling. I did have the chance to subject it to some abuse recently - I got stuck in a very steep ravine, up to the seats in water and silt and a 60*+ climb out. I had the 350 red-lined, the 38's spinning and screaming, and the whole rig bouncing and clawing for traction, any traction. There must have been quite a bit of stress as the tires bit and then let go and the whole rig shuddered and then relaxed while I kept the throttle matted in search of headway. I even managed to ram a stick between the chassis and one of the air lines, stretching it so bad it ended up almost 2 feet longer than it started and perhaps 1/4 the diameter - but still the locker worked fine, and with no damage at the end of the day. Still have to subject it to some abuse in the rocks though.

As for the actuator-out-front - I too was concerned at first, but truly am not anymore. True, ANY type of selectable locker is going to have potential failure points that a spool or automatic locker doesn’t have - be they air, electric, vacuum, or cable. It's the nature of the beast, and the price you pay for selectability (a price which, by the way, after having run open, lunch-box lockers, Detroits, and spools, I will gladly pay) This design is no more vulnerable than any other selectable - and a damn site beefier than most.

Since you have to remove the diff cover to change the default, switching it at trail head would not be practical. Nor would fabbing a mechanism to do it externally, in my opinion. As I said - any selectable locker is more complicated (and therefore vulnerable) than an auto-type - and in my opinion - the last thing you'd want to do is make it any more complex or vulnerable.

Whypave - yes, I think you could delete the spring and have no "default position" but just a "last shifted to" position as you mention.

I understand what you are saying about the old vac discos - I cut my teeth on a much beloved '88 Cherokee with one - and, in fact, one of my earliest articles was on using a manual vac switch to control the ol' D30 shifter - so I know 'em well. believe me - when you hold the beef of this in your hand it doesn’t seem like the same thing at all.

The diff cover is 5/16" cast steel and very beefy - more beefy than quite a lot of the aftermarket "bullet-proof" diff covers being sold these days which are commonly only 1/4". It compares well to my Crane diff cover. In other words - no worries on the cover's beef.

I too would like to hear more experience's and opinions.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Bad ass! I've had my eye on this for awhile, just waiting on more info. Thanks :smokin:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I remember Tibus putting these on a website a couple of years ago and I was very interested at that point.

I AM STILL INSANELY INTERESTED if he were to come out with a rockwell version.

Yeah this page:
http://www.tibus-offroad.com/html/application_price.html

Dude I would freak out if these were made available for the rockwell. At 130" WB and a couple pounds of welding rod in each rockwell, my shit is great at driving straight, if you catch my drift.

ROCKWELLS S'il vous plaît and all that jazz.

Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
sure would be nice if it was available for the ford sterling axle, my dually would just love them for it

·
Window Licker
14,754 Posts
Would it be wrong to assume that this is very similar to an OX with just an air solenoid instead of the cable actuation? The shifting mechanism looks pretty similar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts