Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a bunch of people who have swapped. I was interested in knowing the down sides. I am doing due to lack of money as you prob figured. triangulating is costly and I want an easy swap. Pro's Con's? heads ups? this is on a 2005 tj just fuel celled. not going to be on road much longer

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If you are going SOA, then use a stock XJ leaf pack with an extra main leaf for strength. Using springs with anykind of lift will result in it sitting higher in the rear. The ride will be rougher and your front will be doing most of the work, but if you are on a budget it is a good choice.

Matt

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went from 4.5" rubicon express short arms to stock yj SOA in the rear and love it better flex, better ride, and less complex(less things to break). Most people use XJ leaf springs but I've found that they were to long and hung up on rocks to easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice

thank you yes budget and simplicity are the key factors. Should I weld a ladder bar or what ever they call it on the axle housing to avoid wrap or will it work alone the way it will sit.

·
11,307 Posts
I think this question should become a sticky on the Jeep forum, it is coming up every week..... do a search through google.com and use terms like xj springs on wrangler, pirate4x4.com, shoudl get some good results... or just look a few pages over, the same question came out in the previous weeks....every week...

Good luck, and yep, you will need a ladder bar. A lot of rigs here running XJ's in the rera, Bamasahara, jethrodegg, sodaboyyj, texasblake, myself (check my sig)

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you

thanks guys I think thats all I needed... As always this is the best group to ask. See you on the trails or in a few weeks lol

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
kcvikingrun said:
thanks guys I think thats all I needed... As always this is the best group to ask. See you on the trails or in a few weeks lol
Like Gui said you definately need a Ladder Bar/Traction Bar setup, especially with the long XJ springs in a SOA configuration. Mine does not ride better (not the rear end) anyways, but it seems to work for what type of wheelin I do.

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
My jeep rode great down the road up to 75. Which is about all the faster I'd take it. I was running a stock XJ pack with an extra main leaf flipped around backwards putting the shorter side to the rear with Bilstein Shocks. Don't let it fool you though. Using good quality components and getting everything built properly will still cost you quite a bit. Less than coilovers but if you buy all your products get ready for a good chunck of change.

I put all my brackets way up high on the frame and never once had the leafs catch up on anything. You can kinda see my brackets here. This was 70 down the high way. :)

·
Registered
98 jeep TJ 609 axles
1,200 Posts
Looks like you were going so fast you couldn't bare take your eyes off the road for a photo.:D :D :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
geberhard said:
Good luck, and yep, you will need a ladder bar. A lot of rigs here running XJ's in the rera, Bamasahara, jethrodegg, sodaboyyj, texasblake, myself (check my sig)

Good luck!

Hey..don't forget about me:flipoff2:

I have had the rear leaf setup on mine for about 9 months now. IMHO the way it is set up now (101" wheelbase w/leafs) is better in all aspects,except rough roads at hwy speeds, than the way it was previously (95" wheelbase,5.5 RE coils with longarms and track bar) The rear leafs seem to handle the spooled rearend better than the coils did...it is now much more predictable. Now, I am sure that a properly designed 4 link/coilover setup would be way better than what I have,but for what I do with mine...it works and I am happy and look at the money I saved not going coilovers and links:laughing:

·
Registered
55 Posts
are all you guys that are using xj's in the rear still running coils up front and if not what springs are been used in there?

no one is running xj's in all 4 corners?

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
Joel77 said:
Looks like you were going so fast you couldn't bare take your eyes off the road for a photo.:D :D :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That's because you don't know the guy taking the photo!! :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
jason26 said:
are all you guys that are using xj's in the rear still running coils up front and if not what springs are been used in there?

no one is running xj's in all 4 corners?

Sitting this way I was running RE3.5 XJ springs up front with RE long arms. This is ~ 103" of wheelbase.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
On rough rodes mine will beat you to death in the rear, but that is probably a result of the AAL. I plan on dropping it this winter and running an extra stock main leaf for strength. Mine sits ass high as you can see in the pic. Like MVdslut said if you get quality parts you will still drop some coin on this setup, but it is way less than coilvers and 4 link. Mine is a real predictable and reliable setup for the money. (I have a little over $1k in my rear setup but most of that is the BTF stretch kit and the custom build ladder bar.)

It still flexes up nicely though:

·
Registered
55 Posts
im looking for a cheap way of putting in leafs in my yj. my old ones are bds and are to stiff. so i wont be running coils in the front just sticking with leafs all around.

seems like alot of you guys are running xj's with some sort of boomerrang shackle and what up front.more of a yj question.

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
My front leaf mounts are actually the front leaf mounts off a YJ. I got them from the dealer and just burned them on. I made up the rear crossmember myself. I used 2x4x3/16" tube. Made some frame tie in's and called it good. I've beat the crap out of it and it always takes it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i get some rap in my rear axle if i tromp on it,but if i put xj's in the front i usally dont drive it really hard so probaly the wrap may not be an issue

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
jason26 said:
i get some rap in my rear axle if i tromp on it,but if i put xj's in the front i usally dont drive it really hard so probaly the wrap may not be an issue

Traction bars are your friend :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have been running XJ's in the rear for about 1 year now.

The only downside for me, is I get this odd sway side to side on the road. The body gets pitched to one side and then rebounds to the other. I don't care for it, but it is predictable, and I can correct it with stearing adjustments. I think it may be the fact that I am still on shortarms in the front?

Off road the Jeep does GREAT! I love it so far!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts