Pirate 4x4 banner

New to diesels, looking at 93 Dodge, need advice

902 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  The Jerk 
#1 ·
I'm looking at this diesel to replace my tired old gasser. I found one that's in my price range with low miles for that year:

$12,500, 93 Dodge 250 Super Cab Cummins Diesel. Only 88K orig miles, camper shell & kit, extra fuel tank, new Michelin tires & mags, bucket seats.

I need to know if there are any inherent problems with this particular year. Is it a good truck? The trailer and buggy weigh about 6000 and get yanked all over the rockies.

Thanks for the help

Steve

#3 ·
is it auto or manual?

if its auto... well my thoughts on first gen autos are :barf:

if its a manual its a getrag (which is almost as bad) but you may get lucky and it may have been converted to a NV4500 which is ok

I had a 93 auto club cab and I loved the truck BUT I hated the auto if it had been a manual I would still own it but with the auto in Colorado I found myself with death wobble and warped rotors because the auto had no "hold back" so on a down hill you had to ride the brakes to keep speed down (which will be the same as 89-04 dodge autos with out a lock up switch)(but 89-93 had NO ability to lock up the TQ)

again I loved my 93 for everything except the auto

#4 ·
i have a 92 and absolutly love it, i wanted a 5 speed but settled for an auto. over winter i plan on making my auto bullet proof but for now its ok. my 92 is pretty bombed out and runs awsome.

that price seems high but thats what they are going for expecially the 4x4 club cab ones.

they are getting rare for sure. definatly search the above site.

good to luck. jiMMy

#5 ·
these trucks are tough as hell but the worst ride of any trucks i have ever owned. i had a 92 dually 4x4 that was all but painful to drive. the 93 ex cab 3/4 ton 4x4 was not near as bad with the captians chairs. a set of 265s or 285s will make the ride much better. i put over 200k on these trucks in the time i owned them, both were drop dead reliable. i sold the 93 with 250k on it and the 92 had 160k on it. the only reason i sold the last one was i came across a 97 3500 ex cab dually 4x4 for 9999.00 couldn't pass that up.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help. That truck sold :( oh well, there's a few others in that price range. I'll start going over those sites ChiXJeff posted.

I've been driving manuals for 20 years, I'm getting lazy and would really like an auto. Really sucks they can't come up with a decent auto to behind these things. Maybe if I get a good deal I can throw a Jasper in it.

#7 ·
<snort> I've been driving sticks longer than that, and have never owned a vehicle with a slushbox. </snort>

And I just loooove my 99 CTD 5spd.

Seriously, if you're set on a CTD, get a membership at TDR or DTR. The tech knowledge on these trucks is just plain awesome. Caveat, there are some chowderheads as well.

ChiXJeff

#9 ·
yarddog said:
Really sucks they can't come up with a decent auto to behind these things.

the autos in first gen trucks are (in a way) stronger than autos in second gen trucks, they dont have a lock up converter to go bad

with billet shafts you could crank as much HP/TQ through one as you wanted

BUT with out the lock up the engine will rev higher (due to fluid slip) and you might not be as fast in a drag as a truck with lockup

now you could call Bill@DTT (as far as I know ATS does not offer a great TC for first gen trucks) and get a ~90% TC and life would be golden but you would not be able to put a lock up switch to help with the down hill thing or run a E brake

#12 ·
yup. 91.5 on up seem to be the desired modles to have. although the turbine exhaust housing is way to large also added for emissions reasons. the 92's had a 21cm which is a dog.

jiMMy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.