Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats the first things I should do? New to diesels.

I just picked up a new work/tow rig. Its a 94 Ford extended cab 2wd SRW. It has the 7.3IDI factory turbo(with a 5 speed). Which I've read is is almost all mechanical and fairly easy to work on. Plus its got cheaper parts than a powerstroke. A bit less power but with an exhaust upgrade it'll have more than a stock powerstroke. A bonus is the truck was used for a welding business and never had a trailer hitch or 5th wheel. Other then the dents in the box it looks like it had a fairly easy life.

My plans is to take it in for a complete fluid change and to start keeping track of that and mileage to see how its doing. For the time being if its staying stock should I worry about getting a pyrometer?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Spend some time reading over the IDI section at www.oilburners.net

There's a ton of great info there, and a wonderful group of folks to boot. I learned lots about my IDI there, and can always find a pretty decent answer for what I'm after.

I'd go ahead and spend a little money on a pyro and a boost gauge for your truck. I got mine at summit racing, and even got a 2 gauge clip-on pillar pod cheap. Those gauges will be invaluable as you start to tinker with your truck.

A old bodystyle Powerstroke exhaust fits with a little fabbing- I've got a 4" MBRP exhaust intended for a 95-97 PSD on my IDI and it works great.

Ryan

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do salt, but seems to be all good, very little rust on the truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts