Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats ups guys I'm new to off road and am looking for a good starter rig. I'm looking at a cj but I'm not too sure what to look for. I have knowledge about cars I've rebuilt street rods but not Jeeps. What years, lift springs, body styles. I know chevys not jeeps. help?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Definitely a Toyota, easy to work on parts are cheap..oh yeah did I mention easy to work on?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
A cheap yota is best.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
chris408 said:
A cheap yota is best.
:D
hahah yes toys are CHEAP!!!!!!! hahaha :flipoff2:
i would say a good old bronco but u need some knowledge of how to build....
but i would say a nice old CJ. SOA and some shakles and lockers tire and ur done

try to find one that is BONE stock... dont mess around with trucks that people have fawked with.

EXTREEME 4x4 just had a episode on how to build a "Inexpensive" rock crawler jeep for $5000 with the purchase of the rig its self

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most of the guys here are toyota guys and don't get me wrong they make great rigs. However I am a CJ guy myself and figure if you want CJ info I could offer my two cents.

I would say that earlier to mid CJ-7 make good rigs, personally I have a 83. Things to stay away from if you can are T-5, T-4 trannies. They are usually no good. I agee to try and get one as stock as possible because you never know who was working on before. Dana 300 T-Case are very strong and can be modiefied to be even stronger. T-176 is a good four speed for stock and AMC 20 rear is ok up to about 33's I would recommend if you are not going to do an axel swap right away then you definatly would need to get a one piece axel kit. The two piece tend to seperate. Dana 30 is good up front until you get real crazy. As far as engins go 304 is good and 258 is strong, and reliable. Considering your a chevy guy I would imagine a 350 in future. In that case any strong truck four speed would be minimum. An NV 4500 if you are a lucky man. You would be needing dana 44 or better axles. Dana 300 good to keep and beefing it up can't hurt. If not enough atlas is one of the best. (Novak-adapt.com) has a host of information about good tranny combinations and alot of info on most of the truck four and five speeds that can be swapped along with how the stock jeep trannies stack up. Watch out for frame and rust damage around the spring mounts. Other than that just try and find a good deal. Hope this at least gives you some direction if you decide to go with a CJ. If you come acoss a possible buy don't fear post it up here and see what everybody thinks. The guys on these forums know what they are talking about and won't hesitate to help you out. I am still pretty newb but this is what I have learned over they years from my CJ so good luck and have fun with whatever rig you decide to go with.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i'm a samurai guy, and i have to agree with a 79-85 toyota pickup. i'll also throw out there the samurai.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've had a CJ, a few Sami's and now I'm into Toyota's. My vote goes to the Toyota. The Sami's went the most places(tight bush trails up here) and the Toyota hasn't failed to get me home yet. The jeep hardly went anywhere, and when it did, it left me there. :(

·
Apple
11,695 Posts
Another yota vote, I myself modified a Datsun pickup w/Jeep parts, but if you want to start out with a DD then you can't beat the reliability of a Toy.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
where do you want to wheel, what kind of wheeling, does it need to be a daily driver, etc... vehicle depends on a lot of these things.
also- $$$ budget?

Jeeps are easy, pretty cheap if you want a shorter wheelbase or convertible, etc.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have had:
1979 Toyota 4X4
1984 Toyota 4X4
1984 Toyota 4Runner
1976 Toyota FJ40
1976 Jeep CJ7

I loved them all, but the cost (as far as upgrades) goes to th CJ7.
I also needed 4 seats for the family. There is nothing like wheelin with the top off as well.
Just my 2 cents.
Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys but I think that I'll stick to the American muscle of Jeep. About what year cj should I look for? oh and this will have to be a daily driver as well. I have a 1943 Willys MB but thats going all original for my father. I live in northern Texas and there's not much sand alot of rock and loose soil and a lot of brush but I'm not worried about the brush. So a cj sounds best for me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cheapest thing I've seen around lately 80's to 90's Broncos. Down here in FL they are getting between $500 to $2000 depending on condition. The city impound yard junks at least 3 or 4 a year. I'd buy them myself if I weren't buying Jeep stuff.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have a 1986 samurai that is pretty modified. It can go basically anywhere andit is easy to do a really cheap buildup with one. I think once you get a jeep, you will be spending money on things you would have to worry about if you bought a toyota or suzuki. For example, engines, trasmissions and axles. Overall, I would recommend a toyota for their reliabilty and amount of information and aftermarket parts you will find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have thought about getting a toyota but the only one that I liked was the old landcrusier. Other than that theres not much that draws me to toyota. I also looked into a samurai. but then i wouldn't be able to take any of my friends or family. Plus Jeeps have a short wheelbase so a much smaller turning radius than say a bronco. and the whole topless feature. (got to get some girls in there;) but seriously I find that a jeep with alot less modification can be made safe for me and my friends.

·
Registered
349 Posts
CJ's are nice (especially the 7's and 8's). I have had three 7's over the past 20 yrs but find myself looking for a 1st gen 4Runner now. The longer wheelbase will never (IMHO) disappoint you plus you can take the back off the 1st generations and go (kinda) topless. The other reason I am a recovering Jeepaholic is that the CJ's always needed improving (engine, trans, axles, ratios, tub, etc) to make them great rigs/DDs whereas the 4Runners (especially the 4cyl) seem to need less work (better axle ratios, lockers, doubler, lift, bigger tires and you are good to go) to be great rigs/DDs. Just my 2 cents, but go with the Toy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
hands down to the toyotas. i've owned two in the last year. i love the hell out of these things. they are simple, dependable, inexpensive and damn capable off road. i think that i am going to be a toy guy forever. plus they make a ton of stuff to put chevy big and small blocks in. so best of both worlds. i have a mustang 5.0 in mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you guys seem to be set on toyotas. is there one similar to the cj7? and what engines should I be looking for? body styles? and what years?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i own an early bronco and would trade it for a decent 79-85 toy pickup/runner in a heartbeat if that tells you anything. get the toy, they kick ass. ;)

eb's, old jeeps, and fj40's are all POS's you are going to have to sell your soul to finance a decent build on. awesome when built right, but very expensive to do so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts