Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im pretty new into yotas and 4wheeling in general so bare with me. I have a 1979 4wd yota that I bought as a project truck. I just got done tearing most of it down. The thing is completely rusted out everywhere, the floors in that cab are completely gone and the frame is swiss cheese. Only things that are salvagable are the axles motor tranny and t-case pretty much(good thing i only paid 200 right). So Dissapointed with what ive got to start with and not being a good fabricator im a little screwed. But there is somewhat of a little hope. My buddy has a 1986 4wd yota that he is willign to give me. Its in really good shape just doesnt have a motor. So what im thinking is just doing a sas on the 86 but here lies my question. Am i goign to be able to take the front hanger off of the 79 and weld it up on the 86 and weld a tube threw the frame for the shackle like the 79? sorry so long just really thinking this project over.

·
Registered
485 Posts
There are a lot of compainies to get a pre-fabbed front hangers from, for a good deal. Most of them usually add a little lift and push the front axle forward a bit as well. Marlin, Trail-Gear, All Pro, and Sky are the few I can think of right now. Check out their websites for prices and info, most of them also sell the shackle tubes your going to need.
-Chad

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
It's cool to see everyone just helping each other while search is down instead of the anticipated attack. We need to keep it up and just know going in that search is down and just help each other. For people like me who type with two fingers if I'm lucky, the other option is a little hard. :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I suggest getting the hanger kit from places like marlin, it will be alot easier, and you know that the front will strong and strait.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ok quick thread hijacking here:flipoff2: Speaking of hangers. I have a stock SA rig ('85) and wanted to build some drop hangers for it but I'm unsure of how everyone is compensating for the fucked up front setup.

I assume you just cut the bottom of the front body mounts where they extend below the bottom of the frame but what about how the frame wraps around the bottom of the crossmember up front? Does everyone lay a piece of flat stock along the bottom of the crossmember to make the whole thing one long flat section to use? I'm thinking about building some hangers soon and the only problem I've run into is how to tie the hangers together and weld the square stock to the crossmember without leaving that gap in there.

I've looked through a few threads with pics and haven't gotten a good look at any close-ups that show how it's dealt with. If anyone could kinda explain how they did theirs or how they mounted a pre-made hanger like Trail Gear or marlin it'd help me out a bunch.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
RRMike said:
Ok quick thread hijacking here:flipoff2: Speaking of hangers. I have a stock SA rig ('85) and wanted to build some drop hangers for it but I'm unsure of how everyone is compensating for the fucked up front setup.

I assume you just cut the bottom of the front body mounts where they extend below the bottom of the frame but what about how the frame wraps around the bottom of the crossmember up front? Does everyone lay a piece of flat stock along the bottom of the crossmember to make the whole thing one long flat section to use? I'm thinking about building some hangers soon and the only problem I've run into is how to tie the hangers together and weld the square stock to the crossmember without leaving that gap in there.

I've looked through a few threads with pics and haven't gotten a good look at any close-ups that show how it's dealt with. If anyone could kinda explain how they did theirs or how they mounted a pre-made hanger like Trail Gear or marlin it'd help me out a bunch.
Cut the stocker hangers off flat with the front x-member, grind it flat, before you mount your new hanger run some kickers on the backside to run along the frame about 5-6 inches (79-83 frames are smaller up front on the frame rails therefore weaker then the 84 and up). Clamp the hanger to the front X-Member, weld it up and run gussets on the ends up to the frame. If you want you can fill the gap, but not necessary. I just welded some flat stock, 3/16 I think between the stock x-member and the hanger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts