Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed something to tow my boat and off road rig to i bought a powerstroke but i really wasnt impressed with the performance and fuel milage so i decided to look for a 460 5 speed truck and found this 1991 f250
4x4 460 5 speed for $1000 has right at 200k on it guy said it burned quite a bit of oil but i work at a machine shop and we got a bunch of 460 stuff laying around. So i checked the oil when i left drove it 100 miles home it smoked a bit when i gave it gas but not terrible cruising but it burned 3 1/2 quarts!!! in 100 miles and i got about 7 miles to the gallon so i think it might have a leak or stuck injector i know its not going to get awesome but better han 7 with the 5 speed.

When i got it home needed to be cleaned

Somewhat cleaned up

Interior isnt too bad.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Don't expect much more than that when towing with it. I've had a few of those trucks and they all sucked gas. I would of stayed with the powerstroke...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I could get MAYBE 14 if I stayed around 50-55 on flat level ground for a long distance and driving like I had a egg under my foot with the extended cab truck. Normal driving was 10-11, towing 5-7 depending on the load and it had to have 93 or it would ping...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was 2wd and high gears i was expecting about 10 but it got 14 kind of a freak of nature it was a dually too. the f250 i just picked up has a lot more power than the f350 did and a lot more than my powerstroke.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could get MAYBE 14 if I stayed around 50-55 on flat level ground for a long distance and driving like I had a egg under my foot with the extended cab truck. Normal driving was 10-11, towing 5-7 depending on the load and it had to have 93 or it would ping...
I drive like a grandpa and do 80% highway driving and didnt have it loaded or pull a trailer with it.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Id buff the paint on that and rock on..Good looking truck.Maybe think of adding some long tubes and some sorta home made cold air kit..That 460 needs to breathe better.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plans are sky shackle reversal for the front probably the 3" then eventually 4" easy ride springs. And shackle flip rear with whatever blocks to even it out then 37" military tires because there cheap. I found a lot better bed for $250 this one is beat to shit on the inside and it is bowed slightly on one side. As far as the engine just a stock rebuild if I need to buy pistons I'll get slightly higher compression ratio with a mild cam and longtubes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't think those mods are going to help your fuel economy any...
yea i know i figured out why the mpg was so bad im sure the o2 sensors are clogged up with oil causing it to run rich. From what iv been reading it should get 11-15 depending on driving style. i was just worried about getting 7 mpg stock then when i lift it and put bigger tires it would get 5 but i figured it out and im going to try all the mpg tricks and see what happens its not a dd so im not worried about 10 mpg but if it was around 5 that would just suck!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
my '97 f-super duty service truck with the 460/auto gets about 5mpg, towing or not

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
my 460/auto in a stock height crew cab 4x4 will do 13mpg taking it easy on the freeway, and this is calculated from many tanks of gas going between the bay area and Portland OR.

It's sad to think that back in '90 when it was built, it was cheaper to run this truck than my 25mpg subaru DD is to run at today's gas prices :(

*edit* and this thing is slow as shit compared to the stock 7.3 powerstroke I have driven. Hell even my 7.3IDI would have whooped this 460/auto in a drag race,

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Paint that truck white, and I was driving it's twin 15 years ago. At the time it would use a quart of oil every 1500 miles and it had right around 200K on it.

As far as mileage goes 9MPG was standard fare with my 16yo self control when it came to the skinny pedal. Towing a 24ft bar top with 8-10K worth of livestock it was in the 6-7 range. I NEVER saw double digits, but I sure would like to have another just for nostalgia's sake.

·
Registered
500 Posts
No idea how you can possibly think a stock 460 has more power then a stock 7.3 ps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts