Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I am planning to buy a Toyota Hilux pick up (aged around 1994) in the future for my new project. What I hope to do is fit unimog 404 axels to it, by doing this it will give me a good strong set of axels and will allow me to fit 40” tires without cutting a lot of the body away. Along with fitting mog axels I am also planning to get rid of the standard leaf spring suspension and change it for a set of coils, possible coil over’s.
I am pretty sorted with the unimog axles as in fact they line up with the Hilux’s transfer box so it’s just a matter of getting some custom flanges and prop shafts made. Unlike fitting unimog axels to a land rover (the diff is on the wrong side on the front axle:shaking:)

The main reason why I have made a post on the forum is because I am asking for some help/information on the best way round fitting coils/coil over’s on a Hilux. I’ve kind of come up with 2 ideas:

• To buy a coil conversion kit from a shop and then modify it along with the unimog axels so that they both fit. By doing this almost half the work would be done for me as the kit would already bolt onto the actual truck.
I’ve been doing a lot of research, trying to find a coil conversion kit for a Hilux but so far I have had no success (apart from rocky mountain) so if anyone knows of a place, anywhere in the world it would be great if you could tell me :D.

• My other idea would be to basically make everything myself but the problem with this is that to be honest I don’t have the tools and skills to do everything. As I am in the U.K when the car is finished with will have to go through and extensive test (SVA) so the mounts are going to have to be very good quality, something I may not be able to do:(.

So if anyone could help me out / tell me the best way of fitting coils to a Hilux with unimog axels it would be great. Also if you see any problems with my plans could you please tell me and if anyones got any pictures of Hilux’s running on mog axels it would be very useful :rolleyes:

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Seems like a good project but man those mog axles are heavy. I got a set and they weigh 1200lbs (545 kilo's for you hilux owners) have you looked into Volvo Portals instead? built like a 9 inch ford and uses leaf springs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The Hilux front diff is the same position as the rover...
You need a Nissan ute for it to line up..

Thanks jbell110, just had a look at as set of unimog axels and yes they don’t a line up so yes the transfer box is on the same side on both a Toyota and a Land Rover. I was originally thinking of fitting unimog axels to a land rover and I know of a company that can do a diff swamp on the front axle, but at price.

The only reason why I was looking at a different type of car (Toyota) is because if it had the transfer box on the other side (left) it would all a line with the unimog axels. Meaning that I wouldn’t need a diff swamp on the front axle and this would save me a lot of money.

So if anyone knows of a vehicle with its transfer box on the left (a lining up with the unimog axel) could you please tell me e.g. jeep Cherokee

·
Registered
118 Posts
So are you planning on buying a vehicle to fit your axel???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts