Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bunch of stuff in the mail this week
Can anyone guess what this is for???
(p.s. sorry about the quality of the pics)

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Similar to the marlin unit.
But OTT produced. Instead of making a new input for the Toyota tcase they mase a new output for the SM420. This way if the tcase input ever breaks you can replace it with a cheap, easy, stock unit. I cannot imagine the Sm mainshaft would ever break.

Oh yeah, because there are two plates in the adapter it is clockable.

Very good job making the pieces. Quality stuff.

:D

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You tear the 420 down. It is a brand new mainshaft. The adapter is a bit over 1" thick.

I don't have my reasonable camera on me right now.

Motor looks like it is okay.
I think what happened is that the gasoline broke up the carbon that was built up on the pistons. After turning on and off a couple of times a chunk of carbon became lodged between the piston and the cylinder wall. Quasi siezing the motor. After that chunk of carbon dissolved (using lots of different lubricants) it turned over perfectly.
:confused:
Not really sure. All I know is that the dam thing runs again.

Not the first time the cruiser has fixed itself :)

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still not great pics but heck, they are better.

SM rear output

Minitcases input

Crawler

Fuzzy comparison of the new mainshaft vs the old one.

A little diff work until they start making a spool for the Taco axle

Everything went together very smoothly. This adapter made the AA crawler adapter look very secondrate. And AA makes good stuff!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Damn glad to see that the parts arrived. You and Grog will have to drink one for me while you're there.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rustyb said:
Damn glad to see that the parts arrived. You and Grog will have to drink one for me while you're there.
I am too.
You really should come on out to Los cruces with Nolen. I'll have a cooler full of whatever you like to drink :)
and I have a spare seat for ya....

Installed

clocked for a perfectly flat skidplate....

25" long rear driveshaft :flipoff2:

·
5,906 Posts
Sweet! I like it. Are you making a crossmember to go under the t-cases?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cruzila said:
Sweet! I like it. Are you making a crossmember to go under the t-cases?
Yeah, I am having design issues with that though. If I remove the rubber stock tcase mount I can have a flat skid. If I leafe it I will have to make some wierd lump in it.

Suppose it would be athat bad if I hard mounted the tcase to the skid?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
AWESOME! This is sweet. This is a mod i could definitely see myself doing. I'm really curious to see how it all works out and how it works out on the trail.

I'm not worried about it but I'm interested in seeing how the taco axle works under the cruiser.

Really this is one of the cooler axle/drivetrain mods I have seen in a while IMO. The rear e-locker should be super smooth too. :D

·
5,906 Posts
don't solid mount

Man if you hard mount that thing it will :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Try making a mount that uses spring bushings. I have seen a few and they are pretty cool. The way you have the cases turned up I would put one on each side, then mount to a crossmember. Stay away from the skidplate mount though, mine is like that and a pain to work on.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
davefj40 said:
can't you make a mount like the FROR one and mount it to the framerails?

http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/images/xmemberskid019_large.jpg

dave
Possibly, unfortunately the tcases ride very high in the cruiser. I probably should have done a body lift. But seeing as I really hate bL's I decided against it. Also, because the tcase is clocked I can not use the FOR mount due to the fact that it would mount very akwardly (one side a lot higher than the other). I probably am going to end up making a custom mount like the FOR one. Which will take time that I don't have...

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like the mini board is giving me a hand :D

With the center section I can attach it easily in this fashion..

OOoooooo

New improved super lite DS. :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts