Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone remembers toyota had a thing going with winebago to make 4-runner like things on 1st gen boddies, called em trekkers. Well when they decided to make them themselfes in 84 they used the extended cab frame. So I was thinking about making me a new trekker. Take a 2nd or 3rd gen body with a 103'' wheel base. Cutting the back piece of the cab off like when doing an extended cab conversion. Cut the front part of the bed off and weld them together. Than get an aftermarket topper of your choice. Voila, 103'' WB 4-runner. Anybody do this? Would it end up being a pita with the body work? Just a random thought I had on the pot this morning.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
OR... you could just find an 84 4runner?:laughing:

If your gonna do a real trekker it needs to be a 79-83 body style... a first gen rather. They looked like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah but an 84 4-runner has a 113'' wheel base, I want 103''

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
So chop 10" out of a 4runner and install a short box gas tank. Less fabrication than a pick up.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your right, ok I feel stupid. Going to buy 4-runner body now.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
i think trekkers are ugly anyway....cool but ugly. but the 1st gen pickups are the best toy pickups IMHO.

1st gen runners are the best in the runner catagory...only if they had 2.7's and 3.4s in em.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
my first rig was a trekker- it leaked like a mofo in the winter between the toyota cab and the winnebago rear. But it was a great truck and ran forever- until I sold it to some jackass that wrecked it 4 times and abandoned it. :mad3:

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
MistyandChris00 said:
my first rig was a trekker- it leaked like a mofo in the winter between the toyota cab and the winnebago rear. But it was a great truck and ran forever- until I sold it to some jackass that wrecked it 4 times and abandoned it. :mad3:
BASTARD SHOULD DIE!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
a good trekker brings pretty good money..would be a nice find..but nor for a wheeler..:smokin:

·
Registered
318 Posts
We have a guy about 30 miles up the road from me just into the edge of VA that has a 83 Trekker that he dropped a 3.4 into from a T100, a full exocage, and rumor is that he just got ambitious over the winter and put 14 bolt and Dana 60 into it...I'll have to see if I can get some pics Friday when I go over to the shop to get my winch fixed.

David

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
toymaniac said:
Take a 2nd or 3rd gen body with a 103'' wheel base. Cutting the back piece of the cab off like when doing an extended cab conversion. Cut the front part of the bed off and weld them together. Than get an aftermarket topper of your choice. Voila, 103'' WB 4-runner. Anybody do this?
Yes, it has been done, to a point!
Check out 12_Volt_Dave s truck!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401639

flecker said:
OR... you could just find an 84 4runner?
x2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts