Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on a new project...

The idea is to build a chassis that is designed around Toyota components. I want to keep it very simple and make it as painless as possible to transfer your existing stuff over to the new chassis in your own garage.

I know a lot of you are wheeling your trucks way past it's limits and have completely trashed the body and are tired of continuing to fix frames. So for many of you out there... I think this is going to be a great solution.

I set down and spent some time designing a chassis that is still more like a truck. The front end can be set up to have the lines of an old FJ40 or the tube fenders could be left off to accommodate new Taco skins... The chassis will feature frame rails that are the stock width of Toy perch's and be setup to run rear Toy leaf springs on the front, allowing you to simply bolt your front axle in. I plan to also offer 22R(E) motor mounts already installed in the chassis if desired. There will be room to run a doubler as well. The rear of the chassis is designed to 4 link the rear, but it can be done on the cheap with rear TJ springs, Air shocks, or coilovers... pending on your budget. Of course the front could be linked also, but to help out those on a budget, the leafs will get you in the woods cheap and quick. The rear of the chassis features a bed that you can still actually carry your junk in. Of course I'm only going to put in a minimal amount of tube work to leave it open to customize to your liking, this will help keep costs down.

The point is, I want you to be able to almost bolt your stuff in this chassis and still have enough money to actually go wheelin. Your new rig would be lighter and way more capable than your old truck ever was and you can upgrade it over time as money allows.

I'm interested in keeping the bare chassis down around $2600
I'm going to offer a 4link kit to make linking the rear end very simple, and as stated above, I'll offer engine mounts in the chassis for the popular 22R(E) motor to bolt in.

The first chassis is scheduled to be built in just a few weeks.. I also plan to build one completely turn key here in the shop and will continue this thread to show the build up.

Here's a few pics to show what the chassis design looks like. Let me know your thoughts!

PRICE is going to be $2800 keep reading to see the final product as it evolved.

-Tim

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I like the lines! :smokin: It's a buggy that still has a pickup look to it. :grinpimp:

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
That's kickass!

The single biggest advantage I see in a tube chassis is approach and departure angle. Out west we have a lot of dry waterfalls that demand you nose up to them, and with truck bodywork it's really hard to get that negative approach angle, and still have good flex.

What will be the wheelbase range for the two seater?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I like this idea a lot, my biggest complaint of buggies is the lack of space for gear. Not everyone wants a comp rig for trail running.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Will be watching this, I'm building a runner trail only now but the more I take off of it I am starting to think I should just build a buggy.

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
looks good, Def dig the lines... :smokin:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I've kind of wished someone would design a formula chassis that looked more like a pickup. My understanding of the opriginal intent was that key dimensions would be given to potential builders and they could design within those parameters as long as they could exactly replicate each chassis.

·
Registered
763 Posts
not much of a buggy guy but this would be something different and cool looking exspecialy for the yota world, ditch the front hoop and fender bars very much jeep look......

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've started dreaming...

...but maybe one day it will come true. I like the optin to swap all my shit in and go wheeling. The KISS principle makes the world go round sometimes, and I'm glad to hear that I could KISS with this baby.

When all the sheetmetal's gone, I'll start saving pennies, dimes, and benjamins for this!

1 - 20 of 223 Posts