Pirate 4x4 banner

421 - 435 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
This looks VERY promising.

However, I tried playing with it using the Excel version you linked (hehehe) and it downloaded as "read only".

It seems like the formula cells are "values" resulting from your numbers and they are not live formulas...:confused:

No?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
I've taken the liberty to modify this spreadsheet to:
  • have both rear and front suspension
  • options to have 4 link, 3 link + panhard, or 4 link + panhard, at either end
  • option for 4 wheel drive with drive split between rear and front wheels
  • option for front to rear brake bias for anti-dive
  • removed use of macros as they caused problems for some
  • travel calculations are more limited, due to no macros, so just calculate full up (bump), static ride height, half down (droop) and full down travel
  • added vehicle roll axis
  • because there is more stuff, some measures were taken to try and keep the sheet from blowing out too far
I use Open Office, so had to convert to Excel. Fixed some stuff that didn't convert properly, but don't know if I got everything. I didn't fix the Excel version as well as I would have liked, because I found it frustrating from what I'm used to and I was using someone elses computer.

Here is a link to the Excel version http://bushie39.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/4BarLinkV4.0-Beta.xlsx

And a link to the Open Office version http://bushie39.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/4BarLinkV4.0-Beta.ods

Don't take much notice of the link geometry when you open the spreadsheet, it was just something for testing, not meant to be an example of good suspension design, I know it will bind, but that wasn't the point.

This took longer than I thought, and I became sick, so left what I had last used for testing. I hope I found and fixed all of the errors, but one never expects 100% error free.

If anyone finds that some geometry causes error problems, let me know what that geometry is, so I can replicate it, and fix it.

There are some improvements over the old version of the 3 link + panhard spreadsheet, but nothing improved for triangulated 4 link design, so some will probably prefer the old version because it is less cluttered.
Thank you so much for this. But in the Excel version the graphics are not updating for me as I change numbers?

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
This looks VERY promising.

However, I tried playing with it using the Excel version you linked (hehehe) and it downloaded as "read only".

It seems like the formula cells are "values" resulting from your numbers and they are not live formulas...:confused:

No?
I have to enable editing to mess with it. In Excel 2010 in the top it bring up a yellow message mar when I open it and I have to click the button that says, "enable editing."

·
Registered
267 Posts
enable editing pops up on me everytime I use excel, I wouldn't worry about that so much. Both links have all cells populated with values rather then the equations on all pages. Looks like a copy paste values only happened.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
This is basically it. Dan provided all of the mechanical engineering expertise back in 2001 and he and I did all of the development work together to release that first 4-link calculator (which Dan posted on Pirate4x4) for free... After that Dan was basically the guy who got all the praise and accolades for the program, but the downside is that he also got most of the questions & aggravation from everyone who wanted help or explanations about how to use it.

Ultimately, I am still very proud of the work that Dan and I did way back then, and it feels good to know that so many people have been able to use that tool to teach themselves about suspension design and theory. The stuff I do now with the calculator are for my own enjoyment and education, so I don't offer them publicly anymore. I have too much time and effort invested now to simply give it away only to have someone else modify my work or redistribute it as if it were their own.

-G
That's fully understandable. Thank you for what you have done. There's no telling how many people you've helped.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks people. Sorry about the problems with Excel. I don't have Excel, but when I opened that spreadsheet in Open Office I get the same problems.

After completing the changes in openoffice, I exported it to excel. Usually I find that I only have to fix some stuff that can get a bit screwed up in charts.

So I fixed the charts in excel, but noticed a problem with the calculations for anti-squat and anti-lift during acceleration. I don't like excel, since they changed it some years back, and get frustrated with it, especially since the mouse was not playing well on the computer with excel that I was using. I spent some time but couldn't see where the problem was with the anti-squat calculations, it looked ok, but ..........

I gave up on that and imported the openoffice version into excel. Had to fix the charts, and a heap of cells where it changed the font size. After that it looked ok, but I was had to leave so didn't think to check for the problems that you guys found.

I will try to get back on a computer with excel and fix it, but for the time being here is a link to the excel file that I trust, a problem with the anti-squat/lift calculations. Someone might be able to fix it before I get a chance spreadsheet link

Edit Fixed the problem with the anti-squat calculations - I had changed (shortened) the reference name for a cell, but that name hadn't exported to excel. The link in this post should be the fixed excel spreadsheet. I will go back and edit the previous post to fix the link to the correct file.

Note: I'm still not happy with the way the charts look after importing to excel, would prefer that many of the lines were thinner, but I have so much frustration with excel that I have left them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Here are some screenshots from my laptop with openoffice. This is the main page, the only one that most users need to be concerned with.

If you are only interested in the suspension at one end, then it doesn't matter what link geometry is shown at the other end, it will not affect the results you are interested in.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Bush65 was quick to answer some questions I had on his example. He said that the example was just that and not anything perfected. Apparently where he is at is Internet challenged.

I asked about what we usually call rear steer. That is "Rear Axis Roll Inclination" Those were some pretty big numbers in the example which was why I asked for clarification.

Cheers to those that voluntarily contribute (Triaged, Bush65, etc) and those that used the resource to guide us along the way. The whole internet is based on the premise that the more people share, the more that they will receive in the long run.

Again Cheers!!!

·
Zeus of the Sluice
4,740 Posts
Cheers to those that voluntarily contribute (Triaged, Bush65, etc) and those that used the resource to guide us along the way. The whole internet is based on the premise that the more people share, the more that they will receive in the long run.

Again Cheers!!!
x2 :beer:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've taken the liberty to modify this spreadsheet to:
  • have both rear and front suspension
  • options to have 4 link, 3 link + panhard, or 4 link + panhard, at either end
  • option for 4 wheel drive with drive split between rear and front wheels
  • option for front to rear brake bias for anti-dive
  • removed use of macros as they caused problems for some
  • travel calculations are more limited, due to no macros, so just calculate full up (bump), static ride height, half down (droop) and full down travel
  • added vehicle roll axis
  • because there is more stuff, some measures were taken to try and keep the sheet from blowing out too far
I use Open Office, so had to convert to Excel. Fixed some stuff that didn't convert properly, but don't know if I got everything. I didn't fix the Excel version as well as I would have liked, because I found it frustrating from what I'm used to and I was using someone elses computer.

Here is a link to the Excel version

And a link to the Open Office version

Don't take much notice of the link geometry when you open the spreadsheet, it was just something for testing, not meant to be an example of good suspension design, I know it will bind, but that wasn't the point.

This took longer than I thought, and I became sick, so left what I had last used for testing. I hope I found and fixed all of the errors, but one never expects 100% error free.

If anyone finds that some geometry causes error problems, let me know what that geometry is, so I can replicate it, and fix it.

There are some improvements over the old version of the 3 link + panhard spreadsheet, but nothing improved for triangulated 4 link design, so some will probably prefer the old version because it is less cluttered.

Edit: fixed a problem with the excel version, updated link to the fixed file.

This is great thank you very much.

Pm where can I PayPal $20 so you can buy a case of beer on me?

Like mcutler said, I'm sure this will open up another round of questions.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks for the thought Mac5005, it's much appreciated, but not necessary.

As I find spare time I have fixed a few bugs, made cosmetic changes that improve the appearance when brought into Excel (I never noticed in Open Office), and have been busy adding stuff for asymmetrical 3-link suspension, plus axle steer with 3-link suspension if links are not parallel.

421 - 435 of 435 Posts