Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up? I'm a newb to the off road world so looking for some expertise from everyone. I've been around hot rods, building cars, racing and motorcycles my whole life but the Jeep wheelin world is new to me. I'm a fabricator on the side and aircraft inspector during the day. So I traded a guy an SKS (AK47 gun) and a 14 ft jon boat for this 96 Grand Cherokee yesterday. It has no title so this will just be used for riding trails and as a family type "side by side" around our property. I don't want to go crazy with this thing, since I have two hot rods I'm working on, but I would like to make it run and drive good, still have a bed area, and seats for everyone to ride along. I'm thinking maybe door bars and a cage eventually but for now a small 2" lift. So check out the pics and please let me know of anything I should look for. The transfer case is stuck in 4lo, the springs look like they put some cheap "lift" clamps on them, the transmission is slipping in and out of gear (see pics, there is a bolt loose and the trans isn't flush with the block) and the flywheel bolts are rubbing. The guy did the chop top on it, put on 33's, did some other work to it too but I want to fix some of it. Let me know what u think or what needs to be done. I just want something mild, fix the things that need fixed and get it driving good. Should I just take the sway bars off since its gonna be off road only? It starts right up every time, looks like it has some oil leaks around the valve cover, all the lights work, radio works, windows work except passenger rear. Thanks!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The exhaust is rubbing the oil pan here.

Here the flywheel bolts are rubbing.

Here the bolt is backed out and the transmission isn't flush with the block.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already taken the snorkel off, gonna figure somethin else out.

Little bit of an oil leek around the valve cover

Took the snorkel off and saw this laying in the throttle body. What is this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
No title is a big concern no matter if it's going to be street driven or not. Possession of stolen property would still apply.

I would figure out what the deal is with the title before doing shit to that thing!!

If it's a salvage you still need to have that in your name.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
1) fix exhaust so you don't gas yourself to death
2) remove coil spacers and replace those springs before they crack
3) The trans sitting back like that on one side has probably bent the flexplate and screwed up the TC pump bushing. If I had to guess I'd say that the TC didn't seat all the way into the pump and they forced it with the bolts, which is also why the flex plate bolts are rubbing. At a minimum make sure that the TC is seated correctly and that the flex plate isn't cracked.
4) Jeeps leak, you can mess around and try to stop it - but it'll still leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been reading alot about doing the chop top and how it changes the integrity, so a cage will be in the near future.
So could the trans sitting that way possibly have something to do with why the transfer case wont go into 4 hi?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I have been reading alot about doing the chop top and how it changes the integrity, so a cage will be in the near future.
So could the trans sitting that way possibly have something to do with why the transfer case wont go into 4 hi?
That likely just has to do with the hokey shift linkage they use on those things. Lay under the jeep and have someone try to shift it for you - then see if you can "help" them by grabbing the shift arm on the tcase with a pliers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So been doin some work on the ZJ this week. I cut out all the spring stiffners and did some trimming on the body. I did find a couple more bolts that were loose on the transmission. I think I found the issue tho. The rear end is shifted to the right pretty good. I don't know if the panhard bar is bent so it's not centered or if the arms are bent. Any ideas?

Notice the difference of location on the bump stops.

·
Registered
851 Posts
WOW! That thing is more fuct up than my wife's checkbook.

But the truck bed looks cool.

As far as the axle dog-legging, your lift is out-kicking your coverage. Either lower it or get another pan hard bar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah good thing I didn't pay anything for it!!!! So I got the transmission mounted back flush, the transfer case fixed where it will go into high and low (easy fix, linkage was disconnected) and put on a glasspack I had with some tubing I bought from Auto joke. But now the dang thing won't start. I don't know if I messed something up down by the TV cable, the neutral safety switch or something in the column. It does start when I hold the key in the start position and move the shifter around. But when I shift it into other gears, it doesn't move at all.
I cut off the lift stuff so it's back at stock height. I'm thinking of swapping the panhard bar or pulling this one and straightening it. The Jeeps getting better with everything I'm doin, just taking time to figure it all out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I got everything working on the Jeep pretty good, the idle isnt the best but I'm gonna clean up the throttle body and the IAC to see if that helps. I ordered a 2" budget boost from Fat Bobs and bought some Crager Soft 8 15x10 wheels from a guy locally for $200. Put in a CB and PA system that my 7 year old boy thinks is awesome and loves to talk on. Also bought some Jeep soft top fabric and clear window material so I can make a top for the rear. Other than that, I'm gonna go do some wheelin at Moonlight Racing off road park in Sullivan Missouri for the first time in it this weekend to see how we do.

Wheels I got

I wanna make something like this for the rear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts