Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys this is the zook im curently building for tuff truck 08.. specs are
4afe corolla motor (will be supercharged)
borge warner auto
zook transfer with 6.5 gears
cut down tub with soft top
gq patroll diffs (do you get those in america?)
3link parnard all round
18inch air shocks all round. with limmiting straps
39.5 iroks (hopefuly 42' mitchilins b4 tuff truck)
full exo etc...
ok heres some pics

how i got it and the start

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

103inch wb

second hand iroks got them for $500 aus.. about 300 or so american

it was going to be coiled at one stage...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well thats how it sits atm.. still have to do alot of work but as you can see its starting to come along!:homer:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
nice

Wish we could get thos axles here! Looks crazy. what kind of roudy tough truck comps you guys get down there? Do you jump them rigs?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ummmm... is it just me or does it seem like his suspension will have no articulation laterally? I see bushing at both end of his links with no way to pivot. :eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummmm... is it just me or does it seem like his suspension will have no articulation laterally? I see bushing at both end of his links with no way to pivot. :eek:
it is all only mocked up.. but how do you meen? th bushings flex quite well...
with no rear parhard it flexes quite well.. have had it all twisted up a few days ago...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish we could get thos axles here! Looks crazy. what kind of roudy tough truck comps you guys get down there? Do you jump them rigs?
www.tufftruck.com.au

see if that works???
nah not jumped, just wheeled hard.
the axles are good, strong, cheep and heeps about! they have a realy good lsd in the rear (i will replace with a locker of corse tho)
there week point is CV's and sungears...

·
Registered
182 Posts
with no rear parhard it flexes quite well.. have had it all twisted up a few days ago...
Given, there is a certain amount of flex with rubber or poly bushings, but they are resistive to the forces you are putting on them, mainly rotation. They are also limited by the width of bracket you mount them in. Without room for distortion they will flex very little. Also, you should keep in mind that if they can distort one way, they can distort in others and may prove to shift while under load. That, and they will wear quickly because of the flex. I suggest you use, at least on one end of your links, a Johnny Joint, RE, or even a heim joint.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given, there is a certain amount of flex with rubber or poly bushings, but they are resistive to the forces you are putting on them, mainly rotation. They are also limited by the width of bracket you mount them in. Without room for distortion they will flex very little. Also, you should keep in mind that if they can distort one way, they can distort in others and may prove to shift while under load. That, and they will wear quickly because of the flex. I suggest you use, at least on one end of your links, a Johnny Joint, RE, or even a heim joint.

they are mounted on bolts, so there for alowing for movenemt latraly... they are patroll links... would u like a pic of one out of the rig?
i may be chainging to hemis all round b4 to long with my new job but these should do fine for now...

·
Registered
564 Posts
the bushes will take more angle then most heim joints

but they just dont last that long

he will have no trouble maxing out a 16" shock with them

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the bushes will take more angle then most heim joints

but they just dont last that long

he will have no trouble maxing out a 16" shock with them
thanks for the back up tim..
thast why i have decided to go 18" ones and run limmiting straps :smokin:
that way can unbolt straps for flex pics etc...

our names could become confusing on this fourm!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Since your not running a panhard or 4 link how are you keeping the axles centered? I saw that you had 1 bar coming from somewhere underneath and hooking to the top of the axle, is this what you are using to keep it located?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Patrol Axles v/s Toyota Pick-up Axles

I thought Toyota Pick-up ran Australia so why did you chose the Patrol Axles over them.

The Patrol is a big 4x4 like the old Landcruiser and its axles look beefy but are they stonger ?

I've heard it said that the lighter Hilux is stronger than the Cruiser hence I went for the Hilux axles.

I supppose you can get ARBs for the Patrol axles.

For the Hilux stuff you can get great bits like heat/cryo treated or ChroMo half shafts.

SO
Are Patrols axles that good ?
If they are & have the same stut pattern then I might just be tempted to replace my Hilux axles with a pair.

Hoe

·
Registered
841 Posts
The tracbar (panhard) and the draglink need to be as parallel as possible to avoid some serious bumpsteer. No offense, but yours doesn't even look close.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought Toyota Pick-up ran Australia so why did you chose the Patrol Axles over them.

The Patrol is a big 4x4 like the old Landcruiser and its axles look beefy but are they stonger ?

I've heard it said that the lighter Hilux is stronger than the Cruiser hence I went for the Hilux axles.

I supppose you can get ARBs for the Patrol axles.

For the Hilux stuff you can get great bits like heat/cryo treated or ChroMo half shafts.

SO
Are Patrols axles that good ?
If they are & have the same stut pattern then I might just be tempted to replace my Hilux axles with a pair.

Hoe
they are alot stronger...
the cv's arnt much stronger, but you can get treated and even cromo ones!
you can get arb's etc for them...

btw if you read at the top it is 3link parhnard front and rear.. just the rear parnad isnt in there as of yet.. i havent got to make the top mout as i ran out of rhs..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The tracbar (panhard) and the draglink need to be as parallel as possible to avoid some serious bumpsteer. No offense, but yours doesn't even look close.
they arnt that far of.. its just the angle of the pic!! prob 5'off
it will also be lowerd about 4inches for where it sits there once i get my air shocks in so it wont be a issue at all....
that is basicly how they sit in the patroll :)

for those of you who dont know what they look like...
this is a GQ.. a bit munted but yeha

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do you think that drive train is gonna hold up very long on those 39's ... I mean, I dunno the size of GQ axle shafts but I can bet they're gonna be the first to go when you really get on the throttle. The next will be the tiny output shaft on the zuki case or the mounts depending on how to decide to mount it...i would say forget 42's if its leaving the pavement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts