Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a severe newb... am I even allowed to post in the Formula Toy section? I have a few questions about them;

Is it worth looking all over the place for a used 85 or older pickup/4Runner, just to get the solid axle? Is it just as easy to get a late 80s truck and then find a solid front Toyota axle?

I'm not looking to open the manual or auto transmission discussion, but which is more popular in the F-Toy class?

I understand some people are converting their rigs to run on Propane. I read about all the advantages, and the fact that it is not "street" legal but is wonderful for a rock buggy. Is propane a more popular fuel for an F-toy or is it still questionable?

Lastly, as far as an F-toy goes, what is considered to be a rolling chassis? What's included? Does anyone build a rolling chassis for purchase, or can you generally only buy a chassis and do the entire build yourself.

I want to make building a Formula Toy a reality someday, but with limited skills/knowledge I don't know how to get started.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Is it worth looking all over the place for a used 85 or older pickup/4Runner, just to get the solid axle? Is it just as easy to get a late 80s truck and then find a solid front Toyota axle?

I'm not looking to open the manual or auto transmission discussion, but which is more popular in the F-Toy class?

I understand some people are converting their rigs to run on Propane. I read about all the advantages, and the fact that it is not "street" legal but is wonderful for a rock buggy. Is propane a more popular fuel for an F-toy or is it still questionable?

Lastly, as far as an F-toy goes, what is considered to be a rolling chassis? What's included? Does anyone build a rolling chassis for purchase, or can you generally only buy a chassis and do the entire build yourself.

I want to make building a Formula Toy a reality someday, but with limited skills/knowledge I don't know how to get started.
Read the FAQ in the toy section to learn about toyotas.

As far as 85 or earlier, it pretty much makes no diffrence. the 85 and older frames have more arch for up travel BUT its really nothing if the frame is rusted.

As far as auto vs manual trans ...... auto is easier to drive BUT the adapters are more $$ and the auto's take a bit more setup to run at angles... (they lose fluid pressure)

the BIG advantage of propane is that it does NOT require a computer to operate like EFI does AND it will keep running at silly angles..... thats pretty much it.

A rolling chassis is a ....... ...... somthing with all the welding pretty much done. There are alot of shops that will take your $$ and build you what ever.

As for how to get started with limited skills/knowledge ...... find a good running toyota 4x4 (not a taco), find some people to wheeling with and build it up as you see necessary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts