Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2001 Dodge 2500 extra cab LB 2wd diesel, can it pull a 18-19k 5th wheel toyhauler?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Auto or manual........Auto trannys suck ass in not just that model but most up until this last year.

That is allot of weight but the truck will do it if you keep it cool and have good tires E rated or better.

Should be ok especially if you are only doing it for recreation and not an everyday thing.

With that said if you have allot of tounge weight you should consider a dulley although I have been pulling those kind of loads with my SRW automatic for several years.......with an occasional tranny overhaul required

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Is the single rear wheel setup enough for that?

I'd have no issue if it was a dually, I've towed 24k lb tub grinders with diesel dually dodges without issue.

How much weight on the hitch point?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is an auto. and it is SRW, does swapping in a dual rear setup change anything?

dry weight is 13300, hitch weight is 2720

and yes recreational, 3-4 times per year mostly with a 100-200 mile radius

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
it is an auto. and it is SRW, does swapping in a dual rear setup change anything?

dry weight is 13300, hitch weight is 2720

and yes recreational, 3-4 times per year mostly with a 100-200 mile radius

Makes it safer...if you have a blow out with Singles not as safe as a dually.

Some will say different....but I have hauled cargo and tounge weights in the 3000 range for years in SRW vehicles.....just want to have heavy rated tires, good trailer brakes adjusted correctly, and if springs are not handleing the weight correct it with overload springs or pref air bags.

That auto tranny could be a problem.....better baby it.

Hell look at my build thread below....that dodge with the service bed and bumber pull tounge weight is more weight on the rear axle than you would have and I have 10,000 plus miles on that setup with no issues other than replacing an auto tranny. Truck has 60,000 miles and replaced 1st tranny at 45,000

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Yeah, if the total tongue weight is around 3000 lbs, that should be fine. I used to put that kind of weight into my 2000 2500HD dodge (with the camper special springs/sway bar), it was very solid and didn't sag.

If you are going to load a lot of extra tongue weight. Consider having your truck weighed, and look at your tires to see their load capacity, and their axle capacity, its usually a Dana 70 in the autos IIRC.

My 2000 ram came with load range E Michelin LTX M/S tires, those are good for 3415 lbs each. So make sure the rear axle weight isn't more than that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts