Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi every one i had a question that keeps puzzling me...

I keep hearing every one talk about taking a jeep and making it bigger, especially for rock crawling. Every one says it needs Bigger tires, engine, axles. I have even heard about people stretching the frame to make it longer. This leads to my question.

Why start with a jeep and make it bigger? Why not start with a full size truck and make it smaller ?

(edit)
I hope this is the right place to put this thread. I the Jeep section might be a better spot for it ? =)

·
Registered
209 Posts
is it tuesday already?....... i should be working:shaking:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Why start with a jeep and make it bigger? Why not start with a full size truck and make it smaller ?
People do both, it's a preference thing. As you start doing harder trails you want bigger tires then you have to upgrade the axles to keep breakage to a minimum...it's a vicious cycle.
The frame stretch is to help with climbing ability. The stock jeep wheelbase is pretty short and wants to flip backwards on steep climbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
People do both, it's a preference thing. As you start doing harder trails you want bigger tires then you have to upgrade the axles to keep breakage to a minimum...it's a vicious cycle.
The frame stretch is to help with climbing ability. The stock jeep wheelbase is pretty short and wants to flip backwards on steep climbs.
Thanks for the reply. This is kind of the answer i was looking for. At least it helped me understand a little better. =)

As for the rest that replied... If you want to know about large scale snow removal, road construction, loaders and various other heavy equipment. Ask away, I'm sure your questions on those topics would be even more dumb then mine was. Like i said in the title to this post, ((newbie question)). Get off your high horse and quit trying to pretend your above some one just because they are not as knowledgeable on a specific subject as you are.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Yesh we understand this is a newb question....That is why there is a NEWBIE GEN4x4 section that you should have posted this question in.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm sure if I really wanted to know about large scale snow removal, road construction, loaders and various other heavy equipment I could do a simple google search and come up with more than enough to read and learn. I think you should do the same.

If you would have taken the time to read the forum rules I'm certain you would have found the appropriate place to post such a question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure if I really wanted to know about large scale snow removal, road construction, loaders and various other heavy equipment I could do a simple google search and come up with more than enough to read and learn. I think you should do the same.

If you would have taken the time to read the forum rules I'm certain you would have found the appropriate place to post such a question.
Thank you ol wise one. I will take your advice. Google has taught me every thing i know, Wiki too ! With out them i would have never learned to run a construction business.

I didn't even notice the newbie 4x4 section until after i posted. I was going to delete it and post there but didn't think this many would get their panties in a bunch over a simple post. Oh well live and learn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts