Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up? I'm a newb to the off road world so looking for some expertise from everyone. I traded a guy an SKS (AK47 gun) and a 14 ft jon boat for this 96 Grand Cherokee yesterday. It has no title so this will just be used for riding trails and as a family type "side by side" around our property. I don't want to go crazy with this thing, since I have two hot rods I'm working on, but I would like to make it run and drive good, still have a bed area, and seats for everyone to ride along. I'm thinking maybe door bars and a cage eventually but for now a small lift. So check out the pics and please let me know of anything I should look for. The transfer case is stuck in 4lo, the springs look like they put some cheap "lift" clamps on them, the transmission is slipping in and out of gear (see pics, there is a bolt loose and the trans isn't flush with the block) and the flywheel bolts are rubbing. The guy did the chop top on it, put on 33's, did some other work to it too but I want to fix some of it. Let me know what u think or what needs to be done. I just want something mild like maybe 2" of lift, fix the things that need fixed and get it driving good. Should I just take the sway bars off since its gonna be off road only? It starts right up every time, looks like it has some oil leaks around the valve cover, all the lights work, radio works, windows work except passenger rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The exhaust is rubbing the oil pan here.

Here the flywheel bolts are rubbing.

Here the bolt is backed out and the transmission isn't flush with the block.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already taken the snorkel off, gonna figure somethin else out.

Little bit of an oil leek around the valve cover

Took the snorkel off and saw this laying in the throttle body. What is this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
That is an interesting find in the TB.

How has the ZJ been coming along?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well that thing needs a lot of work. I'm from the stl area too. As far as upGrades I would look for a v8 zj and steal the rear axle its a dana 44 compared to the 35 that comes in the 4.0's and weld it up. Make sure the gears match your axles if not take the front axle too. I'd get the entire axle instead of trying to swap the gears and you get spare axle shafts and unit bearings. Also if the front axle has cv axles swap for u joint shafts. Ditch the bs "lift that's on it and get some 2" spacers if the budget doesn't allow a lift kit. The take it to moonlight off road park in Sullivan and wheel it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The VERY first thing I would do is replace that cobbled suspension with this:
Amazon.com: Rough Country 632.20 - 3.5-inch Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N2.0 Series Shocks: Automotive

Whatever that piece of metal is in the throttle body is, should not be there. Neither should those pvc shavings :shaking: . Get the trans bolted up correctly. The tcase issue is probably caused by the shifter linkage. Remove the linkage from the case and see if you can move the selector arm on the case manually. A cutoff wheel on a grinder will cure the clearance issue between the front tire and the fender. Weld the spider gears in the rear end and beat the piss out of it :laughing:

edit: oh yeah, and take that front swaybar off and throw it in the trash!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts