Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.. new to the forum and new to the wheelin thing.. but i look forward to learning a lot. I just picked up a 1988 toyota hilux which i previously owned 2 years ago and its still in just as bad of shape! LOL. So here's the deal.. I'm looking to build a fairly cheap weekend warrior that can hit the trails and still be very streetable.. Here's some pics how she sits now.. Note.. i just picked this up sunday morning so anything really redneck is not my doing.. lol

I managed to pick up some 35" TOYO Open Country Mt's used for 60 bucks. I'll have them regrooved and run those for the summer and then swap them out before winter comes

Obviously this truck needs a lot of work but that's what i wanted.. A good ole project truck.. So any input or help as to what i should be looking into doing to make sure it wont bust on the trail even as a DD would be great!

As of now it's sitting on 33" Cooper MT's and has a 3" body lift

So i guess i'll shoot off my first question..

What will be my cheapest/ easiest way to lift the front end maybe another 2"? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe i wish i could SAS it right now :) i will def be doing that in the future but for now i gotta make due with a "smaller" alternative..ball joint spacers eh.. never heard of those before :p

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Try to spend AS MUCH AS LITTLE as you can on the IFS stuff--your going to find about a year of hard use and its all going to be either blown up a few times or bent to crap...

Good luck with your build ;)

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
The paint on the hood is fawkin dope and the cab and the bed are not lined up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha thanks.. I want to SAS it as soon as possible but i have a feeling that will be my winter project so for right now i'm just looking to figure out a way to left the front end just a little higher to clear the 35's without rubbing.

I picked up the truck for $200 bucks cash with a spare motor 22re spare doors spare talegate 1 stinger style front bumper and a push bar front bumper. But i scrapped all of that lol.. I just purchased all new brakes,joints and lines to have all that stuff brand new which will be my upcoming weekend project.. then i will begin the body work on it and get it painted.. After that i'm going to build a new front bumper, sliders and a read bumper.. the list goes on but it will all happen with pics :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The paint on the hood is fawkin dope and the cab and the bed are not lined up.
haha thanks dude.. i airbrushed the hood when i was like 15 just to practice and i'm not the one who installed the body lift so they did a hack job and got it crooked :p i'll be ripping the box off prob this weekend to get it ready for POR15 and dual exhaust :)

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
dual exhaust?:confused: here's some advice for you, don't get everything that everyone tells you to get. some things you need some you don't. work your way up and upgrade over time, broken parts will tell you what to beef up. driving style will determine how much money you need to spend replacing broken parts. search a lot here, and be patient collecting parts, there's a lot of good deals out there if you're not in a rush. good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
dual exhaust?:confused: here's some advice for you, don't get everything that everyone tells you to get. some things you need some you don't. work your way up and upgrade over time, broken parts will tell you what to beef up. driving style will determine how much money you need to spend replacing broken parts. search a lot here, and be patient collecting parts, there's a lot of good deals out there if you're not in a rush. good luck.
hehe well fake dual.. just a flowmaster 40 series muffler with a dual outlet.. it will be less loud than the ghey cherry bomb thats on there as of right now.. that's just plain loud. thanks for the advice.. i've never been wheelin before with my own truck :p but i do look forward to breaking parts!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
hehe well fake dual.. just a flowmaster 40 series muffler with a dual outlet.. it will be less loud than the ghey cherry bomb thats on there as of right now.. that's just plain loud. thanks for the advice.. i've never been wheelin before with my own truck :p but i do look forward to breaking parts!:flipoff2:
looks like you have the right attitude. some people bitch and moan over broken "piece of shit" parts, which is lame. broken parts are part of the game even though we'd rather be wheelin'.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
dont lift it. make the tires clear the way it is. I fit 35's on 2" and all I had to do was pound the body seam back and the floor boards a tad. This is something you SHOULD do anyway to keep your future susp as low as possible. That will also keep you from putting money into the ifs and the IFS will last longer. Not to mention you will have a lower center of gravity. When you sas dont be concerned about clearing a tire, just have enough lift to clear a hi-steer. (3") One of the most common newbie misconceptions about these rigs is that they have to be tall. They have to be low!

And the FAQ and search is your friend. Buy a star it is easier to search, you wont have to wait 500 sec between searches....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... I got a bit of work done on the truck today. I started by ripping off the bed and umm destroying the old body lift...

lol^^
out with the old and in with the new :)

And just when i started to paint the frame up.. the parts man showed up.. So i decided to take some inventory pics :p

And ofcoarse.. the frame

So this weekend i will tackle all the brake stuff and HOPEFULLY.. get rid of that cherryBOMB GAH!!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE=CEN-CAL-XJS;8484089]Is that chrome in a can on the middle of the diff?:rainbow:
gotta add a little redneck to it!:massey:[/QUOTE]
to add on to the redneckness :p here's a pic of the color it will be painted

and here's a pic of one of our service vehicles with the same green

:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts