Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Professional Lurker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am finally going to do this...

Been a lurker for some time, and decided to post on here since I usually can search and find stuff I need...

I have an 88 Zuk that is sprung over, YJ conversion, stock locked axles, crossover steering, 32's, GRS-2...

I am in the process of upgrading a few things and may have a good chance to swap in a 99 vitara 2.0L 4cyl.
I was originally going to do the 4.3L V-6 swap, but this deal is pretty good, and may be simpler...?

My question is, I have found almost no info on doing this swap at all, and wonder if it would be worth while? I would be doubling the HP/Trq, get EFI, and P.steering, also get to keep my GRS-2 case, and will probably upgrade to Toy axles eventually...

Has anyone heard anything about doing this swap, or have any ideas on whether it would be worth while?
The only things that worry me, might be the wiring, and converting the fuel system... Other than that, it actually looks very similar to a 1600 16V motor...

Thanks for any ideas, and be gentle... :cool2:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Man that would be a sweet swap and if my memory serves me I have seen it discussed only one time in the last year and a half on here. You would have to create your own wiring for sure. The thing I do not know about is if you could use the 1.6 adapter plate. You know, I remember know. Trail Tough was doing a 2.0 swap. That is where I saw it. Give them a shout. www.trailtough.com I am sure that they can steer you in the right direction. Oh, if you do go through with it please start a thread and share the info with everyone. Give and take, that's how this place works. I prefer to take :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
350 sammy has done this pm him. His runs pretty good with grs case and toy axles.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I just got off the phone with Linda at TT and they do in fact perform and sell kits to do the 2.0 swap. She said it is everything, minus the motor itself, that you will need for the swap. Here are the details.

Kit costs 1200.00
It includes:
Complete wiring harness
Engine/tranny adapter
Motor mounts
Custom radiator
Custom fan
Fuel pump

Hope this helps out some!

·
Professional Lurker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the help already!
Man, I posted about an hour ago, and already have 3 leads!!
Great info all!

I will definitely keep all informed of the progress depending on how soon I can do this... It may be after the holidays, but I am hoping to make Moab @ EJS with the swap in place if at all possible!

Hmm, I'll hafta call TT, and see if they sell just parts to that kit.
I have a few friends that are great at fabbing stuff, and the fact that I can get the whole vehicle will hopefully help out with the fuel system, ect...

Thanks again!
:cool:

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
wow 1200 bucks and you dont even have a motor....that is ridiculous!!

do the 4.3 swap. you will have it in and running in a month and still have your 1200$!!!

nothing is simpler than setting up a throttle body injection on a 4.3. The 2.0 is a different story... you have the ever devilish OBD devils to please!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I saw and went for a short ride in TT's 2.0 powered sammy. It was pretty neat, very fast and fun. But I agree with spencurai that $1200 for just those parts seems a bit expensive. Now, if that includes the labor to do the swap, then that sounds like a better deal....

Keep us posted on what you end up doing!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just did a 1.8 swap and it was a bitch but didnt cost 1200 bucks :flipoff2: but it is super fast like a zuk on roids just took the motor from a 98 kick sport and the hole harness used a 2 wheel drive kick trans just make sure to brace tcase to trans real good or it will snap the tcase right off the mounts:D good luck

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Non Urban said:

Newbie ass kisser:flipoff2:
Dude, I am SOOOOOOOOO Bored. I just needed something to do. You're just jealous :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
NC Zuk said:

Dude, I am SOOOOOOOOO Bored. I just needed something to do. You're just jealous :flipoff2:
Hehe :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
What 5OH failed to mention.. is he's getting the WHOLE Vitara in the deal.. so the wiring wont be an issue. And its a 2wd 5-speed.. no need for an adapter.. he'll just run the Vitara trans and mod the intermediate shaft to work with the Sami case.

It's gonna be cake man.. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Didn't we have the discusion a little while back about the timing chain problems of the 2.0L+ engines?

I seem to remember that the chain and gears can die suddenly and do a bit of damage.

Just a heads up:D

Newbie ass kisser.........Thats funny:D :cool:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Orionn said:
Didn't we have the discusion a little while back about the timing chain problems of the 2.0L+ engines?

I seem to remember that the chain and gears can die suddenly and do a bit of damage.

Just a heads up:D

Newbie ass kisser.........Thats funny:D :cool:
Nope, the 2.0L 4 banger is rock solid.. the V6 is the one with the crappy ass timing chain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A V6 with a crappy ass timing chain???? Ya, go figure they also share the same setup with the V8's..... :rolleyes:

As for the TT kit, do the math:
Wiring harnesses vary from $300-400
Tranny adapters are about $150 give or take
Fuel pumps are what $30
Radiator at least $200
Electric fan another $100 or so

Right there you're about $700-800 dollars give or take. Considering this engine kit isn't available anywhere else, it isn't too bad. Face it, you pay for convenience. Or course, you could build/wire it all yourself. I would rather pay the $$$ to do this swap in a weekend than spend my time in the garage when I could be out working, making more $$$ than my time is worth.

And doing the 4.3L swap correctly (using a CPI motor, not that TBI or TPI crap) is expensive. A lot more than this would ever cost you...

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
Hemogoblin said:
A V6 with a crappy ass timing chain???? Ya, go figure they also share the same setup with the V8's..... :rolleyes:
Suzuki has a V8? :confused: The real problem is the Timing Chain Tensioners - if you run ANYTHING but 5W30 motor oil, they crater every 40,000 miles, and you have to rip the engine down (even remove one of the cams) to replace 'em. :shaking:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Hemogoblin said:

As for the TT kit, do the math:
Wiring harnesses vary from $300-400
Tranny adapters are about $150 give or take
Fuel pumps are what $30
Radiator at least $200
Electric fan another $100 or so

Right there you're about $700-800 dollars give or take. Considering this engine kit isn't available anywhere else, it isn't too bad. Face it, you pay for convenience. Or course, you could build/wire it all yourself. I would rather pay the $$$ to do this swap in a weekend than spend my time in the garage when I could be out working, making more $$$ than my time is worth.

And doing the 4.3L swap correctly (using a CPI motor, not that TBI or TPI crap) is expensive. A lot more than this would ever cost you...

Cheers,
Steve

I'm kinda with you on this one. I think a 900 price tag would bereasonable. I would like to see it all added up from the vendors point of view. I have an 8v now and want to upgrade. Looks like I need to start a penny jar :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts