Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crucify me if you must :homer: but I'm looking for some axle info.

I assumed my Scout (63ish) had whatever rear axle it was supposed to have - D27 or 30 or whatever - I never really looked too hard. I was under there today and saw the "44" cast in the housing over the pinion and I scraped some funk off the web below the right axle tube and found the "44" there too. Otherwise it looks like it's been there for a long, long time and there was no obvious evidence of scabbing in a foreign axle. Would an 800B D44 be a direct bolt-in?

It has the two piece axles, left hand wheel studs (thought I got away from those when I got out of the old Mopars), 4.88 gears that match the front and limited slip.

Short of a full accurate ID of this thing - how would it rate compared to a later 44? Should a common locker and gearset fit? Any weaknesses in older 44s? One-piece axles available like for Jeep axles?

If this axle is worth using then I guess I only need to track down a front 44 and I have that figured out for the most part.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I previously owned a D44 from that era at one time, a 19 spline, two piece with powerlock. Also had twisted axle shaft splines.

Just go get the Scout II dana 44's frt and rear and call it done:homer:

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
A rear D44 was available for Scout 800's, so its entirely possible that some PO swapped it into your truck a LOOONG time ago. And it would be a bolt in swap.

But as scout254 said, it will 99% be 19-spline. Parts are available, but the 2-piece is a weak link. The 800B's came with a flanged (1-piece) axle that would be 30-spline, and a bolt in. But the shafts are unique.

SII parts or something else are a better swap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

A real quick search suggests the axle is from an early 800, and supports what you guys told me.

My line of thought was to upgrade this axle as I go, but I guess with coarse splines I'd have to change the carrier and axles at the same time if flanged shafts are even available as an upgrade. I guess the only cost savings over buying a SII D44 is that I already have the 4.88 R&P.

I'm trying to avoid spending several hundred bucks or more plus freight to get a pair of axles out here. I think I can pick up a GM or FSJ front 44 locally for cheap and adjust the width as needed and this woulda taken the heat off finding a narrow rear 44.

Thanks
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts