Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 64 FJ40 and i was wondering if there is a year model hard top with the bigger side and curved windows in it that will fit with my weird bi-fold in the back and i think my fiberglass top is different too that later models. Any help will be appreciated.
You can see a pic of it here
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tjsulli790/detail?.dir=/cf54&.dnm=dd91.jpg
I havnt bought a red star yet

Thanks

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
I had a customer that installed a 69 top onto his 64 that looked like yours. It did fit over the windshield frame and bedrails ok, but the doors on yours are shaped a little different at the top [no top weatherstrip lip on the door.

All the later hardtops have a two piece channel over the door that incorporates an angled piece that meets up with the weatherstrip inside the top lip.

In order to use a later hardtop with your doors, you would need to remove this outer piece from the overhead channel. Then there is the matter that the upper leading edge of the door is angled slightly differently. IIRC, it's about 3/8" different between the two doors.

Hth

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
flipped through your photo album.. i forgot just how cool these things look as virgins.... whats the plan on this? i see a sbc and an auto. going to keep the old cruiser look or ???

welcome to pirate....

chris :cool2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the hard top help, I would like to put a later hard top on it and it seems doable. When im done with it, there will be a few cosmetic changes. Ill put about 5.5 inches of lift on it, fender flares, white poly enamel paint, and ill probably also get a soft top for those south texas summers. I got some later model rear axle shafts and im going to put a detroit in the rear. Im tring not to let myself do to much to the front axle. Later in the future i hope to replace my front with a later model and get disk. One of my friends restores old car and trucks and always makes them hotrods, so monday or tuesday he has an engine(350) that hes getting me. It was going to cost me more to rebuild the one i had than a crate engine. Just got my suspension in so im hoping to have a rolling chassis by end on july. still got a lot of axle work to do and tranny and body and ..... the list will never end(at least it seems that way)
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If i get the two side panels off a 69 can i still use my fiberglass top and bifold in the rear. If yes, any idea where i can get those side pieces in good condition.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts