Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've been a member for awhile and do ALOT of searching and reading. I figure I need to pop my cherry sometime so I'm going to ask for all you fawkers advice. I'm running an 03 Wrangler now with 6" of lift and some 33" Swampers. I know I can fit 37's with that much lift but I'm stuck with a 30/35 axle combo for now. I've been satisfied with offroad performance but want something more stable for the rocks and shelves that we have out here in AZ. I'm working on getting about $12k shortly and want to strip the suspension and axles out and start over fresh. Right now I'm thinking about the 4" Skyjacker coilover setup. Are there any other coilover kits that you consider better? My plan is to remove the front fenders and run tubing from the rocker guards along the hoodline and then connect to the front bumber. the rear will be some sort of mini comp cut so that I can clear 37's. Now for the axles. If I thought I'd stay with 37's I'd do a 44 front 8.8 rear setup but I'll probably want 40's in a couple of years when I can retire this thing to trail only status. Dynatrac has some Trailready 60's that seem to be decently priced and are high pinion. Are 60's going to be rock magnets with only 37's are will the fact that their hp make them ok. I'd honestly rather go 60's and be done with it but I don't want to be draging my pumpkins over everything. Last thing.....how much can you stretch the wheelbase before going to a fuel cell. I've got a wife and kid so I still need the use of the backseat for awhile. For that matter would I even need to stretch at that height with those tires? Thanks for input folks and sorry for the long ass post.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If you are considering the 40's go with the 60's or a 60/14bolt. The 60's will work fine with the 37's, but a 14bolt is an anchor that way. You can do a lot with 12 grand considering you already have the vehicle, but why the high dollar axles? You may be able to save some change by using an existing setup (junk yard axles). At least in the rear you have more options. There are also some nice 9inch customs out there that would work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts