Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dodge Ram Newbie
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between the gear ratios and length between the sammi tranny and the sidekick? I very new into this and I see MANY people changing to the sidekick engine but staying with the sammi tranny. Is there a reason why people don't just drop in the engine complete with it's tranny? Is it a bad tranny? Is it too long? Does the gear ratio suck? Does someone have the answers for this newbie?

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
The samurai has a divorced t-case with an intermediate shaft.
So you can use a sidekick/tracker 2wd tranny and motor.
The 4wd tracker/sidekick has the t-case attached to the tranny and will not work with a samurai t-case without some major mods.

IIRC The tracker/sidekick tranny is geared a bit lower. A swap used to me on Offroad.com in the suzuki section. I plan to swap a 2wd motor and tranny into my suzuki later this year.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The Tracker/Sidekick transmisions require a bit of a body lift, and some widening of the tunnle to make them fit.

It is a stronger trans, about the same size as a Sammy trans lengthwise.

Gear ratios (Tracker/Sidekick)
1st 3.652
2nd 1.947
3rd 1.379
4th 1.000
5th 0.795
Reverse 3.670
Transfer gear ratios
Low (4WD) 1.816
High 1.000

Gear ratios (Samurai)
1st 3.652
2nd 1.947
3rd 1.423
4th 1.000
5th 0.795
Reverse 3.466
Transfer gear ratios
Low (4WD) 2.268
High 1.409

·
Dodge Ram Newbie
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! Orionn mentions a body lift would be necessary. Will my planned 1 inch body lift be sufficient? And about how much tunnel widening (if you know????)
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone done this swap? I'm getting ready to start it and was wondering how much modification is required for the tunnel.

I read that dodge d-150 w/318 motor mounts work for this. Do I need a bodylift if I'm sticking with the Sammy carb? Do I need to shorten the intermediate driveshaft? Will my 1.3 header work on the 8v 1.6?

I've read lots of tech on the 16v swap but there doesn't seem to be much info on the 8v/2wd trans swap.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A body lift is not required for the tranny swap. Just some tunnel widening, if you are going with a trackick 4wd tranny and tcase. Some guys that have used the 2wd trackick tranny, did not need to widen the tunnel either (most of the widening for the 4wd tranny and tcase needs to be done back where the tranny and tcase mate together).

1.3 header will work on a 1.6 8V.
If a trackick 2wd tranny is used, the samurai intermediate shaft will need to be shortened. And you will need to either find a different seal for the rear of the trackick tranny (where the slip yoke fits, since the samurai slip yoke diameter is smaller, even though the ID is the same size as a 2wd trackick slip yoke), or you can use a trackick 2wd tranny slip yoke and put it on a samurai intermediate shaft (samurai and trackick driveshafts all use the same ujoints, so it will work fine).
Dodge motor mounts are used to offset and lower the 1.6 engine, but some guys still have to put a spacer under the front body mounts, to lift the body a slight amount for hood clearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts