Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really :D

I am going to see what this Scout thing is all about. I've been wheelin for a long time now, but have always ran toyota's. I got this Scout for nothing, so I decided to sell my Rig and build this Scout. Its an 80 Scout II with the wide ratio T19 and Dana 300. The previous owner converted the stock deisel to a Chevy 350, So I have a good base to work with.

Chad

New Ride

Old Ride

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Very nice score!

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Sometimes I want to move to Kali' just for the "throw away" specials that seem to crop out of the place...

Sounds like a winner for a build up...be sure to keep us posted on the progress

:)

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I am damn lucky to score this and before I knew it was a wide ratio, I thought it would have been too good to be true to have the D300 AND the Wide. I finally looked at the inside of the glove box and saw all the specs. I was jumping up and down for a while after that finding.

Brandon and I were both surprised how low it crawls already, for a stocker.

Looking into the Tera Low and (4.88's or 5.13's) in a couple of 60's, so that should be plenty low for me with torque of the Chevy and my eventual 37's.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
chandall said:
I know I am damn lucky to score this and before I knew it was a wide ratio, I thought it would have been too good to be true to have the D300 AND the Wide. I finally looked at the inside of the glove box and saw all the specs. I was jumping up and down for a while after that finding.

Brandon and I were both surprised how low it crawls already, for a stocker.

Looking into the Tera Low and (4.88's or 5.13's) in a couple of 60's, so that should be plenty low for me with torque of the Chevy and my eventual 37's.
Might think about selling the Dana300 and taking the money to buy a Terralow for a Dana20. D20's are cheap and abundant. The money that you can get for the 300 will almost cover the cost of buying the Terralow gear set. Just a thought.

Jeff
________
GONG BONG

·
Registered
305 Posts
chandall said:
6.72 first gear x 2.62 lowrange x 5.13 rear = a helluva low crawl ratio. Do you really need the 4.0 low range? Also, I would strongly suggest a AA 32 spline output upgrade and bigger driveshaft ujoints, otherwise you'll be snapping those 1310s like twigs. If your heart is set on the 4.0, I agree that a d20 may be the better course, but you should still consider the stonger output shaft. Sell the d300 and take the $300-500 you get and use it to defray the $1000 or so it will cost for the upgrades to the d20. Good luck, sounds like you are on your way to a potent rig.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ihojeff said:
Might think about selling the Dana300 and taking the money to buy a Terralow for a Dana20. D20's are cheap and abundant. The money that you can get for the 300 will almost cover the cost of buying the Terralow gear set. Just a thought.

Jeff
I definately want to go with a 4:1, so you would still suggest the D20? Is the case stronger? Why Why Why :D

Thanks

Chad

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
How much did you pay for your 1980 scout chandall??

I found one up the street from me for 2000 bucks
All primer
didn't look very close but from the street I cant see any rust.
Looks like 32 or 33" tires b/c it looks like he has a small shackle lift and the tires FILL the wheel wells.

Ill get some more info but what would any of you pay for something like that??

·
Registered
305 Posts
chandall said:
I definately want to go with a 4:1, so you would still suggest the D20? Is the case stronger? Why Why Why :D

Thanks

Chad
I suggested the d20 because they are extremely cheap compared to the 300 and if you are going to change the gears anyway, might as well sell the 300 to help pay for the gears, but as Mark correctly pointed out, you can only get 3.15:1 out of the 20, so screw my suggestion. Some say the d20 has a stronger case, but it is still the subject of a great deal of debate. Personally, I have never found nor heard of the case being the weak part of a scout t/c rather it is the miniscule output shafts that cause the most headaches.

also- 4 to 1 gears and needed parts to install $750 + twin stick $25 if you fab it all yourself + 32 spline upgrade $300 = $1075 Which is half way to an atlas II. Something to think about before you start building up the d300.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would definatley want to get the 4:1 even if its going to cost me a few more bills. Thanks for all the input, its very helpfull.

Oober- I got it for free form a guy at work. I would have payed maybe $500-$1200 personally for what I got.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Harvester of Sorrow said:
drop on the output upgrade...

Be done with it.
Drop the output upgrade? or drop cash to get the output upgrade?

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Word :smokin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts