Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Do they look different than the other ones most people use on Toys? Got a pic?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
You talking about a Super Duty? They look pretty similar, and some even have dual shocks. However I bet they are a little more expensive and don't look quite as tall.

·
Registered
940 Posts
They're also cast steel instead of stamped steel sheet, not as long as the earlier ones...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats the length on the old shock towers, i can always walk next door and measure my neighbors 2000 super duty, and yeah they look alot different, cast stee;l. sta,[mped steel, shit its on a 3/4 i dont think they break often

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have a few sets laying around for Scout use. I don't think they are tall enough to justify using on a Toy. As mentioned they are cast and have a mounting stud for the shock instead of the tabs you put the bolt through. I have a few sets out in the Garage but they aren't much, if any, taller then the stock Toyota mounts. I'll measure if anyone wants.

Travis

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
so if they are shorter than the normal forward towers but longer than the toys they could make for a good swap for a truck with out a body lift?

NICK

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
i used the older style ford shock mounts without a body lift. i just just a sawzall and bfh for fitment purposes!:D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
NIC said:
so if they are shorter than the normal forward towers but longer than the toys they could make for a good swap for a truck with out a body lift?

NICK
But then the mounts are not long enough for the long shock travel;)

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Mount your shocks on the front or back of the axle instead of on top of the axle and you won't have to mount the towers so high.
And all my lower mount is is a 2.5" bolt welded to the tube. Very simple.

I run the Bilsteins (longer than 9012's) this way. No body lift needed.

Mounting the towers lower also gives you lots of contact area on the frame to weld them on. I've never gotten around to bracing the back of the towers like everyone recommends, and I've never had a problem with them like a lot of other people seem to. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
erik, u just welded to head of the bolt to the tube, any pics of that, im picking up my shock towers this coming week, great pics by the way

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
The tie rod is in the way of every picture I could find or I would have posted.

Not much to see though. Like you said, its just the bolt head welded to the tube full circle. :)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
treatcg said:
Where is the best place to pick up the older F-250 shock towers for cheap.
the ford dealer? they were $11.83 at the dealer when I got mine.

e5tz-18183-a

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jeffseal said:
anyone have the length and width of them?
hmmm, i never got around to doing anything with shock towers, since about 4 days after this thread, my wife decided she didnt want to be married anylonger, anyways someone will have that answer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts