Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I Was In Johnson Valley This Weekend At A Toyota Jambo. They Tested The Longfields And Newfields In A Testing Machine. They Used A 300m Axle Bar And Could Not Break The Birfields On The Newfields Or The Longfield. THE AXLE BROKE FIRST. They Also Tested A Dana 44 Axle And Stub. The Dana44 Broke At A Rate Of About 40% Less Than The Newfield. Looks Like All The R & D Over The Last Few Years Has Paid Off. The Newfields Are Ready For The Rover'S

edit by camo......

check out this link to the tech in the toy forum and I will also be adding pics and the spread sheet chart showing where all the axles we tested broke.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350905

as stated cv unlimited also makes the rover and volvo birfs and ya this is kinda a spam post but I moved it back into the forum because the info is just to important. also cv unlimited is a new advertiser here on the board we just have not gotten his banner built yet and george is still learning his way around Pirate.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
old scout.

you were correct to move this post out of the forum as was pretty spammy.

however I had asked george from cv unlimited to post the info here as he is a new advertiser and also new to the board and learning his way around.

bottom line is he is building badass 4340 birfs for rovers,volvos portals, toy minis, fj80, and custom applications and has alot of needed product and tech to offer us.

so I appologize for his nebwness and spam but I asked him to post this......don't worry he will get the hang of pirate4x4 and not do it again :D

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Old Scout said:
Humm. He didn't have a yellow star last night! :flipoff2: ;)

Welcome George!

Cause I was slacking. :D they flew out from SC to attend the toy jambo and to come meet Lance and myself. I am currently doing some testing in my rig on their toy mini truck birfs and they are going to be running banner ads, doing give aways and other cool stuff with PBB....stay tuned.

anyhow if their rover parts are even remotely similar to the other birfs they make then the rover troops will never have to worry about breaking another birf again cause these things are bomb proof. you just can't break one. very cool

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's great news, Welcome George. Any chance of making 24 spline stubless bells similar to the earlier 10 spline RangeRovers ?
Bill.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Great news. And I just bought some 30/30 longfields... (definitely not complaining).

Here are the test results:

Originally Posted by camo
ok here are the numbers

................................................ft lbs * degree * inner axle used * failure

stock toy birf..............................3700 .....30........long 4340.......birf expolded
randys birf elimn kit......................5000.....40........randys ...........ujoint broke
long treated oem birf....................5100 .....45.......long 4340.......stub broke
newfield 4340 birf........................7000......80.......300 m.............inner axle broke
longfield 4340 birf........................7000......80.......300 m.............inner axle broke
longfield 30 spline birf...................8900.....120......4340..... .........inner axle broke

stock toy 27 spline inner axle..........4000....20.......................... ..axle broke
stock dana 44 30 spline inner..........5200....25......................... ...ears broke
pig toy 27 spline 4340 inner............5500....90....................... .....axle broke
yukon dana 44 30 spline 4340 inner..5800....48............................yoke broke
longfield toy 27 spline 4340 inner.....6500....80............................ax le broke

stock dana 60 35 spline stub..........8300......80 ..........................ears broke
yukon dana 60 35 spline 4340 stub..12000....90..........................shaft broke

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mmmmm 4340 CVs for rover axles..... :cool2:

You've got a PM :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would have to agree that the longfielded cv's are rather stout. However I did run into a problem with mine last weekend. Story in a nut shell. A couple of years ago I sent my stock rover cv's to bobby long to have them longfielded. Got em back slapped in some Great Basin maxi drive inner axles and thought I was good to go.
Fast forward a few years to last weekend. Broke a font axle on a nasty hill. Pull it apart and the cv is fine- the maxi drive inner broke right at the CV star. No problem I will jsut take the cv apart and drive out the broken piece and put a stock inner in. CAN NOT TAKE THE CV APART!!!
Bobby welded the ring on the bell of the cv that they do to strengthen it so now you can not take the cage and star and balls out. Very frustrating. So hopefully they have changed that design. But the CV's sure were stout.
So now I have to weld someting on the broken piece to see if I can remove it from the cv or grind off the ring they welded on. Bobby has yet to return my call about it. I will be calling again soon.

Tyler

·
Registered
118 Posts
Steve at RTE has been running cv's and front axles from cv unlimited for about for about 5 or 6 months with good luck so far. The star and cage are alot beefier than rover stuff.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I am running the Bobby Long 30-Spline Super Axles and have to say they are holding up to abuse great. The only real question I think will be how long before they wear out since they are really only designed for a Part-Time 4WD truck versus the Rover's Full-Time 4WD. Hopefully I can get a couple of years use out of them.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
see my post "toyota cv conversion update" or similar. i had a set of Profields and wore them out in under a year of mild use. they never broke though.

i would assume that the new alloy birfs Bobby is selling will last fine in a full time 4wd application, because they have a much harder surface than the softened old versions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did leave the snap ring out but the axle broke flush to the star and I have nothing to grab onto to pull it out. So I have to weld something to it. Kinda sucky but I will get it.

Tyler

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
are they still 1200 bucks (the cvunlimited things) Might want to price out what it costs to be competitive if they are still 1200 dollars

-ben

·
Registered
881 Posts
How much are the Volvo portal CV's?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts