Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I'll be driving the 80 Series to the 45 Run.

I was planning on bringing the FJ60 but after a little drama this evening it may not be ready. I rotated my bald 36x13.5 Iroks from the front to the rear on the driveway this evening. I was having some handling issues and everything else had checked out OK. The tread on the Iroks wears really fast and I was hoping to get another trip before replacing them. I went for a quick test drive and sure enough getting the bald tires off the front end made a big difference. I was stoked and ready for the road trip to Deer Valley.

Unfortunately, I must have forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on one of the rear wheels. Yep, as I finished my test drive, happy that the handling was much better, I felt something funny. Mind you this is coming off the freeway.:eek: By the time I stopped, I had one lug nut barely holding the rear wheel on. It sheared most of the wheel studs and a couple studs fell into the brake drum. I was lucky the wheel didn't come all the way off.

After getting the drum off, I managed to put in a couple of new studs in without pulling the axle. I sucked them down enough to hold, put the spare tire on and limped home at about 5 mph on the back streets checking the nuts about every block.

The rim looks shot as the bolt holes are wallowed out. I need a new 10 inch wide steel rockcrawler - got one?

What are the chances of getting the rest of the studs in without pulling the axle? I hate pulling the axle because the C-Clips are a PITA with the 4.56 ARB (the ring gears haven't been ground so the center block isn't completely removable, basically it takes some voodoo juggling to get the clips in).

It could have been much worse but I still feel like a chump. I was lucky to avoid a mandatory tow by convincing the local constable I would get it moving quickly. Kinda hard to move on three wheels.

I really thought I tightened all the lug nuts :shaking: and would have checked the torque with the torque wrench when I got home from the test drive.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Jim,

Glad to hear you're okay. It could have turned out real ugly.

Charles

·
TJK
2,308 Posts
Having driven all the way to Texas with lug nuts held on by a single thread :shaking:, I can relate to how scary this is. Sometimes it's the little things that snowball into big things. Glad you and the truck are OK.

TJK

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 60 once and the lug wrench I had was the wrong one. I stopped every few miles and retightened them the best I could and kept expecting one of my tires to pass me :eek:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a 15x10 rim, but it's got a big ass dent in the rim. I'm sure it could be beat straight.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 15x10 rim, but it's got a big ass dent in the rim. I'm sure it could be beat straight.
I'm already running one of those. I have a sledge hammer. Ross, are you going to the 45 run? If so, bring it.

I'm leaving for Deer Valley in the morning... (driving the 80 Series)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man, glad it wasnt worse.

For whats its worth, been there and done that. I remember years ago, I was so jazzed cuase I replaced my 3rd member. By far the most involved thing I had ever done. I had slapped the bitch back together and took off for a test drive. My girl was with me.

I did even get 1/2 mile when pulling up a stop sign, I felt a wobble, Wobble WOBBLE THUNK and the whole back of my -62 went up in the air and back down in the drum as I watched my wheel pass me. So, now feeling naked at church picnic on a cold day I run across the street to get my tire. I see one lug nut. I ask my girl to go see if she could find any more. By the time I got the Hi-lift out and rear jacked up she walks back and has them all. She said she found them like every 50 feet.

Its been 11 years... I can almost laugh.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, it looks like I'll be driving the 80 Series to the 45 Run.

I was planning on bringing the FJ60 but after a little drama this evening it may not be ready. I rotated my bald 36x13.5 Iroks from the front to the rear on the driveway this evening. I was having some handling issues and everything else had checked out OK. The tread on the Iroks wears really fast and I was hoping to get another trip before replacing them. I went for a quick test drive and sure enough getting the bald tires off the front end made a big difference. I was stoked and ready for the road trip to Deer Valley.

Unfortunately, I must have forgotten to tighten the lug nuts on one of the rear wheels. Yep, as I finished my test drive, happy that the handling was much better, I felt something funny. Mind you this is coming off the freeway.:eek: By the time I stopped, I had one lug nut barely holding the rear wheel on. It sheared most of the wheel studs and a couple studs fell into the brake drum. I was lucky the wheel didn't come all the way off.

After getting the drum off, I managed to put in a couple of new studs in without pulling the axle. I sucked them down enough to hold, put the spare tire on and limped home at about 5 mph on the back streets checking the nuts about every block.

The rim looks shot as the bolt holes are wallowed out. I need a new 10 inch wide steel rockcrawler - got one?

What are the chances of getting the rest of the studs in without pulling the axle? I hate pulling the axle because the C-Clips are a PITA with the 4.56 ARB (the ring gears haven't been ground so the center block isn't completely removable, basically it takes some voodoo juggling to get the clips in).

It could have been much worse but I still feel like a chump. I was lucky to avoid a mandatory tow by convincing the local constable I would get it moving quickly. Kinda hard to move on three wheels.

I really thought I tightened all the lug nuts :shaking: and would have checked the torque with the torque wrench when I got home from the test drive.
that could have been way worse on the freeway...:eek:

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
I have a rim for you Jim. :) I would have been glad to have brought it had I known. I will find a way to get one to you if you still need it.:) LMK, preferably NOT by way of the bbs, as I haven't been online but once for the last week, and this next week may not be much better. Got too many ideas from you and Gary to get built before I leave for Utah.

Mark A.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mark yes I still need to replace the rim. Must have a full size spare.

I'm still playing catch up myself. Hopefully, I'll find some time to work on it this weekend.

I'll be in touch...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally had a chance to assess the damage from my bonehead mistake. Here's what I found...

For the record we're talking about FJ60 semi floating rear axle with drum brakes.

When some of the wheel studs backed off or fell into the wheel they broke the "pulley" that guides the cable that provides the self adjusting feature. The mount that looks to be riveted with big rivets is bent too.

I was able to bent the mount back almost into position and could probably get a new "pulley" on with a new e-clip and make it work. It only pivots a little when pulling the E-brake. The alternative is a new backing plate assembly which is probably the best way to go.

Next, it looks like the holes in the brake drum have wallowed out. I'm not sure how important that is, but I'm guessing I need new brake drum(s). Buy in pairs right?

The fun doesn't stop there. The stud holes in my new chromoly PIG axle also got wallowed out. I tested to see if new studs would hold and it looks like they would. The problem is they wouldn't be holding though the entire thickness of the flange. I suppose I could tack weld the studs, if I was careful to keep them aligned proiperly. Otherwise, it's a new axle.

The "deflector" on the inside of the axle flange got bent up but I have a spare. I'm not sure how important that piece is. I'd probable leave it out if I was to tack the studs to the flange.

So the parts list is looking like:

Driver's Side backing plate with "pulley"
or just the pulley - maybe.

Brake Drum(s)

Long side chromoly axle

15x10 steel wheel

Studs, lugnuts

What do you think?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may have heard me whining about installing the axle C-clips with my 4.56 gears and ARB locker. The teeth on the ring gear have not been ground down and the center block does not come all the way out. It comes out enough to drop the C-clips, and believe it or not, install them. But it is a major PITA. I've done it three times and every time I say it will be the last or I'll grind on the teeth. I'll probably take the dremmel to it this time.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Nope, just might have to drill holes in drum out a little. They do fit tight so any misalignment will cause havoc. I say just drill axle out from backside using drum or disc or something unfubared as a gauge and get er done.

I had to use 9/16 on my front hybrid axle cause the 6 lug 1 ton hubs were already drilled for them. I found the 9/16 fit the wheel holes and was quite pleased.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
FWIW when I did my poly rears I installed new lug studs with a hammer on my tailgate. Hit up Napa and check the 9/16 studs , they are not all the same, some have different size shoulders and length so check em out. You may even find some metric ones of proper size with larger shoulder area which would solve your problem and keep the same size stud.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts