Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started with a 2000 TJ we purchased a while back for a parts runner. Then the plans changed and we were going to install our HiLine Fenders and some 33" tires. Before anything got started, plans changed yet again....

The goal is simple, build Niblet the same way we build so many of our customers jeeps. A dual purpose jeep, excellent daily driver, and outstanding weekend rock warrior. Build in a high degree of reliability and durability to get off the trail onthe weekends and back and forth to work during the week. Do it without breaking the bank, and without going full bore custom.

You can follow the build and see all the pictures as they post in the gallery here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/freakjeep/sets/72157626580866447/

But here are a few pics for those who are click finger challanged.

Starting point - Flex machine.....
2000 TJ Sport, neglected and un-loved when we picked it up a couple years ago.

getting a fresh motor

our Highline fenders with flare

welding close-up, no body filler or sanding/grinding on these babies

making room for some new shoes in the 37" size

More pictures are in the gallery link above.

More to come...
rokmen

·
NERD
8,620 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
From the photo album:
"The stock Dana 30 and Dana 35 were ousted in favor of a set of Rubicon Dana 44's we had at the shop."

·
Registered
95 Posts
This build should be good. I like the stance and the over all look you are going for. Good luck with the build and RCV's.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Build looks good guys.

Flip the driver's side TRE over the knuckle for way more tie rod clearance!

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Good looking rig, but how do you guys confuse a 44 for a 30 :confused::shaking::flipoff2:
Travis..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Niblet is just about finished, only minor loose ends to tie up at this point. We did swap the stock D30/D35 for a pair of Rubicon axles, with the RCV's up front and Superior's in the rear we should be just fine on the 37's, this is not a Jeep we plan on treating like a buggy. If this Jeep had a pair of our custom Spider9 axles, and the custom work that goes along with one of our Freak builds, it wouldn't fall under the non-hardcore side of this forum.

Niblet really shows what we as a company are all about. Sure we do intense full custom builds - but just like specialized race divisions within large automotive companies, we transfer all that tech and R&D down to parts and builds the average guy can afford and do himself. Incredibly capable dual purpose, reliable rigs are what we do.

Hopefully this gives you guys some ideas, and helps shatters the myths out there of what it takes to run big tires, and that superior on road performance and off road capability can can be attained in one package.

A few things underneath needed attention, A Novak Cable shifter, SYE, and new CV driveshafts were installed.

Protecting it all with Rokmen high clearance UpArmor

Rokmen full corners, and sliders - very clean

The unique look of a Rokmen Low Cog built jeep

Flex? Yes Please....
This is more balanced usable flex than most of the bolt on long arm kits that come through our shop

You can see more pictures of Niblet, and find out more information by checking out the build area of our gallery here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/freakjeep/collections/

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
It would be kinda nice if you posted up a list of what parts you put on it without having to follow links to other places.
Travis..

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Since this is a DD/weekend warrior, what fuel economy are you getting/expecting? My biggest fear of goin this route is the MPG's taking a shit (like 15 aint bad enough).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Since this is a DD/weekend warrior, what fuel economy are you getting/expecting? My biggest fear of goin this route is the MPG's taking a shit (like 15 aint bad enough).
My Jeep is built some-what similar to this one (LJ though). I do have 5.13's and a 6spd. With a passenger, 2 dogs, 2 coolers, tools, and camping gear.....at 70mph from full tank to when the fuel low indicator comes on I get exactly 200miles. So roughly 13mpg. In town I'm lucky to push 9-10mpg....that's a lot of rolling mass to get going and stop frequently.

RG

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
My Jeep is built some-what similar to this one (LJ though). I do have 5.13's and a 6spd. With a passenger, 2 dogs, 2 coolers, tools, and camping gear.....at 70mph from full tank to when the fuel low indicator comes on I get exactly 200miles. So roughly 13mpg. In town I'm lucky to push 9-10mpg....that's a lot of rolling mass to get going and stop frequently.

RG
Thanks, that's not to bad. If I can stick to roughly the same mileage as current i wont be so apprehensive to go this route on my build.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amazing what a good driver and a well built bolt-on rig can do on an insane trail. We headed out with some friends to Carnage Canyon in Buena Vista, CO a week or so ago and Niblet didn't dissapoint. Running with buggies and the original Freak, Niblet was right at home and even drove the 2 hrs back to the shop once the trail was conquered!!!

All the pics of this trail can be found on our Flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freakjeep/sets/72157628086641193/

·
Registered
90 Posts
the only oil pan skids you have listed on your site is for 03-06 Jeeps. Looks like you put this on a 2000 Jeep. Was there a lot of customizing you did to make it work?
Does Rokmen offer an oil pan skid for earlier TJ's?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The engine skid on Niblet was customized, but also used as a prototype for the soon to be released engine skid for the 97-02' model years. We don't have an exact release date but it will be coming soon.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts