Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is looking for a cruiser in the bay area that is pretty well built and reliable I went to look at one last week.

http://www.craigslist.org/sfo/sfc/car/8143863.html

The asking price, $15000, is high but I'm sure he can be talked way down. I love the color :) ANyways, I took a good look at it and it appears to be in very good working order. There doesn't look to be any leaks and the motor sounds really healthy. Only a few thousand miles on it since rebuild. Anyways, if someone has the money to spend and is looking for a well built head turning cruiser, this one is good.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I am always cautious about the diamond plate..

But it is a pretty cruiser. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Restored?

Diamond plate?

$15,000

hahahahahahahahahahahahahha. I laugh so hard I just shit myself. Who in their right mind would pay 15k for something that was claimed as a restore with diamond plate? Not me.
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
climbermike said:
Restored?

Diamond plate?

$15,000

hahahahahahahahahahahahahha. I laugh so hard I just shit myself. Who in their right mind would pay 15k for something that was claimed as a restore with diamond plate? Not me.
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Look at all the work done to the cruiser..would it make sense to put that kind of a paint job over rust and cover it with diamond plate?? IMO I don't think he took a short cut just cause there is diamond plate on it. There is 50 pics posted there.. don't think he's hiding anything. It's on E-bay right now at $11,600 and reserve not met. Sounds like divorce may be forcing the sale.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
bennett said:

Look at all the work done to the cruiser..would it make sense to put that kind of a paint job over rust and cover it with diamond plate?? IMO I don't think he took a short cut just cause there is diamond plate on it.

I think he DID take a short cut... why else would diamond plate have been added? Its obviously not a hard core rock crawler so it's not for protection... and i highly doubt he was plating it for beautification purposes.

i think mike is right on this one... restored and 15k and diamond plate do not even belong in the same sentence.

·
Registered
738 Posts
air compressor for filling up the 33 Inch BF tires on gorgeous chrome rims (or the all inflatable beach toys, not included). You can be sure all your valuables will be safe with the aftermarket lockable dash replacement, center locking Tuffy console, and two locking boxes in the back. Of course all of the door locks are in perfect condition, even the rear ambulance doors. Ride along in comfort (75 Mph highway driver) while sitting on new MasterCraft seats
Did you read this crap??? Sounds like a travelogue or a comercial for an airline

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Chemical442 said:

I think he DID take a short cut... why else would diamond plate have been added? Its obviously not a hard core rock crawler so it's not for protection... and i highly doubt he was plating it for beautification purposes.

i think mike is right on this one... restored and 15k and diamond plate do not even belong in the same sentence.
I think I will always remember Jan 29th 2003.......the day someone said Kear is right! my god, I'm gonna make this day a personaly holiday!

John H

·
Registered
738 Posts
For going off-road put this FJ40 into 4 wheel drive and enjoy the 4 inch lift, LockRight rear lockers, power steering, front disk brakes and PIAA lights. If you ever get stuck (not likely!), use the adjustable front tow-bar.
Oh my god. Who does this guy write for?

Two questions:

rear lockers?

Who would use a towbar to get un-stuck?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
proffitt'scruisers said:
...Who would use a towbar to get un-stuck?
He just means call me and I'll come hook up and pull you out...:D

Actually have no clue how to use the towbar in a stuck situation, but I'd love to learn..;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw the thing in person. There is no rust underneath the diamond plate. I checked it out. And he has pictures of what it looks like before the diamond plate is put on. The only thing rusty about it is the rear sill under the doors. Its cracked though, and can be easily replaced. You guys can laugh all you want, but this is a DAMN clean cruiser, and I've seen many.

·
Registered
286 Posts
RUST?

CruisD64 said:
The only thing rusty about it is the rear sill under the doors. Its cracked though, and can be easily replaced. You guys can laugh all you want, but this is a DAMN clean cruiser, and I've seen many.
I appreciate the fact that you were able to look it over and give us the "minute" details, but the fact now remains that a "restored" Cruiser (or any cruiser) SHOULD NOT have any rust at all, especially in the most common areas! Now that you have revealed "the truth", I'm sure the rest of us are still pondering the thought, "what's under the diamond plate?"

For $15,000... that baby better be PERFECT!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, whatever, I'm done defending this cruiser. Personally, I think it would be a good deal for around 11g's because I look at the amount of work that has been done...the rebuild etc... I know that it would cost me alot more than 11g's to get it done right. Of course, I would do it myself which would save me alot of money, but for someone who can't and is looking for a nice truck that needs very little done to it, this would be just fine. I guess the pirate page was the wrong place to post, since you guys are all Class A mechanics and fabricators, but I just wanted to post it up because this IS a good truck(contrary to popular belief) which looks safe, clean, and reliable. And who cares about the rear sill being rusty? Most of you guys would just cut it off and replace it with tubes anyway. :flipoff2: (no harshness intended)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
bennett said:

Sounds like divorce may be forcing the sale.
It's actually a marriage. And I personally think he's trying to make money off of it. This is America after all. I don't think he will make any. I agree with you guys that 15g's is a rediculous amount of money, but 11 isn't far off, no? Anyways, this isn't the VintageCruiser guy. He'd be trying to sell it for 50g's saying "the best cruiser on earth", "poops on BTB", "I've never seen one this good", "makes me hard..." etc...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
CruisD64 said:

It's actually a marriage

Marriage..........that's even WORSE.... Gotta get rid of the Cruzer cause he's gettin married?..
:eek:
These guys are a hard bunch to please as you will find out. I have to agree, I think the truck would be a good deal in the 10-11k range. Probably worth more but that's what I 'd offer.
These guys that think they can find a perfect restore with 100% no rust had better look in the Dupont Registry or CCOT and it ain't gonna be $15K more like $25k and up for what their talking about.
http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1727_37013360

·
Registered
286 Posts
the topic is deception!

bennett said:

These guys that think they can find a perfect restore with 100% no rust had better look in the Dupont Registry or CCOT and it ain't gonna be $15K more like $25k and up for what their talking about.
http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1727_37013360
Restored, restored, restored... where has the meaning of this word gone??? Yes, Mr.bennett, the link you posted IS an example of a "restoration", such as TLC would do, and to the right buyer it can bring in upwards of 20-25k (except for the cheesy white spoked rims or "wagon wheels"):shaking:
QUESTION: Who in their right mind would "RESTORE" an LC w/o fixing ALL the rust?

Anyhow... to the point of this
Did you/or anyone read his "essay" about the description of this rig? At the very top it reads... "RESTORED" and then he proceeds to list the slight modifications in a commercialized sort of way. Once again, back to the point... After learning about the rust, it is perfectly clear that he is indeed "covering it up", and the fact is that he doesn't mention this once in his "ad"! This is deceiving and wrong. Other than cosmetic upgrades (which I agree, the cruiser looks awesome), what else has been done other than a V8 and a rear locker(s)? This cruiser is not "RESTORED", it is "built" or "modified". The high bidder on "e-bay" doesn't know what he/she is bidding on... the buyer is going to assume that "restored" meant, frame, body, etc... and even if it weren't frame up, AT LEAST get rid of the rust! (especially where this particular rust is located- where is one of the first places an LC lover would look? Yep... in the back!)
This is why we are hammering these questions and comments (unfortunately though, you as the mediator have taken the blunt of the sh*# being thrown... we understand you are helping him, or someone looking to purchase, and should be expressed gratitude for doing such a thing :angel:
The fact of the matter is that we, the general public and consumers, want the truth... especially when buying off of e-bay! The one thing that erk's me the most is deceptive business practices, whether it's personal, corporate, etc... Thankfully, we usually do not have to worry about that within the family of LC enthusiasts, but as you can see, if there are any discrepencies, you can be sure we'll let ya know!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts