Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss has a 2006 Nissan Titan. The transfer case was recently worked on and now it is leaking from the rear of the case. He took it to the dealer and they stated the shaft seal was good but it was leaking through the welch plug in the output yoke and it would not be covered by warranty. They also stated the plug could not be replaced and the entire shaft would need replaced for ~$1,000. The leak isn't bad and the vehicle isn't driven much so he may just leave it.

Is there an easy or cheaper fix?

·
Oh Jesus Tits....
2,669 Posts
Sure it's not just the rear seal? been through several of those on my Frontier, and it still leaks.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd call a driveline company and ask their opinion. Sounds like bs to me, who worked on the case last? Dealer or some mechanic?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A dealer (different one than is looking at it now) last worked on the case.

I found out that there are some bolts that are known to come loose and leak as well. He is going to look at those.

·
Registered
2000 Nissan on tons; 41WC; 42GPW
155 Posts
my kneejerk reaction is dealer scum wanting a lot of $ for a repair. I never take anything to a dealer for repair unless its warranty.

·
Registered
2000 Nissan on tons; 41WC; 42GPW
155 Posts
Sure it's not just the rear seal? been through several of those on my Frontier, and it still leaks.
yeah the seal on my frontier has leaked a bit ever since the SYE kit.

·
Banned
380 Posts
so I was right about that calimini yoke eliminator kit not getting drilled 100% true on the output shaft making the seal go bad. Still no problems with a rear seal in the 2wd trans out of 4 trucks. No fucking way you're getting that drilled right under a truck. Been thru a transfer case yet? its got to make the end of the output shaft weaker also! Just one reason if I do a solid axle I am going divorced 720 case not to mention 2wd trucks and trannies are a dime a dozen! But still I have not much reason to go past a buggy style 2wd

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm a Nissan tech at a dealer. I see the yokes leaking from that plug fairly often, but I have also seen it on Chevrolets and others. The yoke is made by Spicer and has a "plug" or "cap" stamped into the end of it, but it's not welded in and fluid will leak out of it. I have removed them and welded the cap in, and had a customer that fixed his own with JB Weld. Nissan does not offer the yoke separate, but a drive line shop can replace it with a new one if desired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts