Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:flipoff2:

Well it has been three years since I really did anything to the jeep, but it is time.
The rig works really good, but there is always room for improvement.
Ideally I would sell the jeep and build a buggy, but after 7mos and no bites here on Pirate, I committed myself to working on it.

Plans:
Swap in an Automatic Tranny - done
Custom Motor Mounts - done
Custom Tranny Mount - done
Replace the bashed oilpan - done
Replace/relocate the downtube for the exhaust - done
Skin the grill - integrate with rad hoop - ditched the idea
Tubework - almost done
Cage - almost done
Corner guards - included with tubework
LED tailights (they will finally match each other)

Before:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The main motivation - Automatic Tranny.

I have replaced the clutch twice this past year, so I have decided on the automatic. I guess I will have to learn to drive again, but there are some great reasons for this swap. The AW4 tranny that I decided upon, is a very dependable tranny. It bolts on to my motor and tcase, no adapters needed. It is electronically controlled by a standalone computer, but I found a way to bypass that. BrettM from here on the board has an electronic module that replaces the computer and allows manual control of the gears while in drive. There is a rotary knob that selects drive gears 1 thru 4 and a flip switch to control the torque converter lockup. It is a standalone control box for the electronics of this tranny. AWESOME PRODUCT. Check out his website as I have seen it evolve from scratch over the past year and a half. I will install a floor shifter to select park, reverse, neutral, and drive. Once in drive, i switch gears with the control module and the rotary knob.

So out goes the AX-15 (sold it :cool2: )

and got my hands on an AW4 out of a 96XJ with 74K mi

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Progress:
Got my rear main seal replaced for the motor

Put the new oil pan on

I also got the auto bolted up to the motor but still need to bolt the torque converter to the flexplate when I can turn the motor.

Created cardboard templates for the driver side motor mount. It will be overkill, but should work great. Dropped the templates off at HBRK to have them plasma the steel out to match my templates.

·
Registered
873 Posts
:eek: Jeep tech in the Jeep forum? Hallelfawkinlujah!

Looks good :beer:

Seems like Jeep forum is for diagnosing rough idles and locating new soft tops, not everything but a lot of the posts anyways. I may even have to do some write ups this winter on what I've done. Nothing major but would be nice to see some things being BUILT :p

Keep us posted

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice looking project, that motor mount looks wicked! Can't wait to see more progress pics of it (well the whole project that is!)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
78jeepstang said:
Nice looking project, that motor mount looks wicked! Can't wait to see more progress pics of it (well the whole project that is!)

well here you go:

got the motor mount completed:

got the tranny controller in the mail:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also pulled the steering apart to diagnose the slop. I found the plastic bushing in the column just outside the firewall was shattered, so the shaft was loose in the column. There was no slip allowed in the steering shaft, as it was frozen up, and the pitman arm is still located directly above the diff. I will cut out the round crossmember, tuck the steering box up into the frame, which will flatten the draglink and fix the stuff listed above.

·
Registered
663 Posts
truck

nice looking truck.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
That oilpan looks like it has a smaller sump than what's on a 4.0L. Is it a 4.2L pan?
Why did you change the mounts?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
nice project! i definetly want too here how your tranny works with that manual shift. very nice tech!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BamaJeeper said:
That oilpan looks like it has a smaller sump than what's on a 4.0L. Is it a 4.2L pan?
Why did you change the mounts?
Yes, its an earlier 4.2 pan, smaller sump, with skid plate tacked on. My jeep has the 4.2, as it is a 90. The driver side mount has broken 4 times, mostly the grade 8 bolts snapping in the block. The leverage that these motors have against the mounts is WAY too much. I would have run the MORE mounts, but there is a broken easy out in one of the mount holes, that aint coming out. This design was my best 2nd choice. I plan to have a very similar crossmember for the tranny, a solid mount with sleeved bushings at the frame.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
fun this weekend so far

Mounted the bender to the sidewalk :cool2:

bent a tranny crossmember:

bent a front hoop:

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Looking good, keep up the good work. How exactly does that tranny controller work. Do they make one for a C-4?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SpineTx said:
Looking good, keep up the good work. How exactly does that tranny controller work. Do they make one for a C-4?

go manual valvebody, there just is not a manual valvebody out for the AW4

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
:smokin: weeknight progress:

WIRED THE TRANNY CONTROLLER. OMG that was easy. 15minutes Cool product BrettM. Very easy and should turn out great. Have not tested it of course, but the wiring part of the install took no time at all. I am constructing a console to mount my new shifter as well as the electronics, and the 4wd selector. I purchased a poly/plastic center console from an MJ at the junkyard this weekend, which even matches the interior color of my jeep (just a lucky coincidence i guess). I dont know if it will work but it gives me some ideas. I also ran the tranny cooler lines to the radiator. Now the motor tranny and tcase are ready to go..... THEN ........

I came across the deal of the century on some TERA 4to1s :smokin: :smokin: - so the jeep will have a little better crawl ratio when I am all done.

54.66 with the auto.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts