Pirate 4x4 banner
81 - 100 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Well, the axle shafts are stock 80's waggy and so are the front leaf springs. What better way to get the parts that I need than buying a full 81 waggy?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
trails in boise?

wheres that pic taken @ in the first part of the post?
tried finding that shop while i was cruizin boise, its actually located a block or 2 from a family members shop. hoping to bring a couple of my jeeps back up that way come summer time.. too damn cold there during the winter.

Thean

i thought yj springs were supposed to bend for that cirle track feel?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
crusty1007 said:
wheres that pic taken @ in the first part of the post?
tried finding that shop while i was cruizin boise, its actually located a block or 2 from a family members shop. hoping to bring a couple of my jeeps back up that way come summer time.. too damn cold there during the winter.

Thean

i thought yj springs were supposed to bend for that cirle track feel?
Shop is now moved west of Kuna, look for a "new" website in the near future. That trail is called 2HD - it has been referred to a couple of times here in this thread, but it is a great trail, and has fed me my own jeep for lunch twice now. Shoot a PM to me when you are in town and I can show you the general location of about four great trails, all within a couple miles of each other.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
I got the waggy all stripped down and ready for the crusher. Took off the leaf springs, steering box, front 44 axle housing( and took out the shafts ) rear amc20, transmission and 219 tcase. It also had a rear hitch receiver that I am going to adapt to the rear of the YJ. I left the doors and hood on, but there is nothing left to this thing. Headed to the scrapper on Monday.

Also purchased some BBCS from PIG for the front of the YJ.
O:==============:--------:::::|O
|--------21"--------|--------|2.5"|2"|
The shock has a 2.5" + bumpstop built in, so looking at 25" compressed length and 36" extended length.

This will usually keep me out of the bumpstop unless I take a really good bounce, then I will hit the bumpstop for 1" and then the fenders. The shock will still be the limiting strap as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Used the high tech bender on the sidewalk and started up some shock towers. Plan to just weld to the top of the frame. Eventually they will have a cross brace, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
For reference here is what I had to start with on the shock towers. The airbox hanging by zip ties from the radiator strut :confused: :

and the full inner fenders: ( note the return line for the power steering :shaking: )

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
I left the inner fenders, though I am not a huge fan, there is every now and then that you got to get the cobwebs out of the motor and throttle through some mud:

I put the hoop flat on the top of the frame, angled out to the fender and had the tabs over the top of the fender:

I will then tie the hoops to each other, over the engine compartment. Tube will be removable with tabs on each side.

The hoops will also serve as mounting points/surfaces for additional equipment destined for the engine compartment. The passenger side hoop will have an auxillary cooler mounted to it for the transmission. The driver side hoop will have a sturdy mount for the air cleaner.

Shocks go straight up and down, not angled forward or outwards to the mounts on the axle.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
nice, I like how you did that keeping teh inner fenders and all.

yeah it's fun to throttle through some mud, about once a year.:D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
TxCruzr said:
Do you have any pictures of the finished box on the floor that holds the shifter?
Nice build, simple and effective.
Nope, its not finished, just getting rusty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looking good Nate. I guess it's time for some chromo shafts or a 60, huh?

That trail ride must have been a couple of months ago. I think it's a little warm for long sleeves this time of year. I'm geussing that is the upper section of gate keeper? Where is top ripper? That trail looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
JoshH said:
Looking good Nate. I guess it's time for some chromo shafts or a 60, huh?

That trail ride must have been a couple of months ago. I think it's a little warm for long sleeves this time of year. I'm geussing that is the upper section of gate keeper? Where is top ripper? That trail looks like a lot of fun.

DING DING DING

I had it with the effort and breakage, so I bought a cromo inner. As time and money allows, I will add a stub, then CTM, then work the long side too. I have decided to be very soft on the skinny pedal until I have a full set, then it will be go time. Also, that vid was indeed memorial weekend, when it was raining/sleeting on me.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,940 Posts
Nate,
Congrats on being famous...saw your rig in the latest Petersen's 4WOR rag
Sweet build, one of my favorites. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Nate,
Congrats on being famous...saw your rig in the latest Petersen's 4WOR rag
Sweet build, one of my favorites. :smokin:
Yeah, that was pretty cool. I was sort of caught off guard, I knew there was a photographer there, but how often does that mean you will be in a magazine. I was stoked. It really fueled the land use fire here in Idaho, as this trail has not ever been designated by the BLM. It is obviously a trail, but the latest RMP does not have it listed.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/features/131_0704_owyhee_range_idaho_rock_crawling/

I will have some more updates here pretty quick too, as I have some progress, some carnage, and lots of trailrides to add.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Donor parts rig part two in full effect. I bought a 78 ford that is an F250, but its rockin a matching pair of 60s. Selling off these lighter duty axles for the hogs and going to run full width, 4link rear, 3link+panhard front. I have not decided on springs yet for the rear, but probably coils and my BBCS to dampen. I am going to run air shocks in the front, maybe it will be too much weight, but we will see. I am going to run the rockequipment airshocks so that if I need to throw some springs on em, I can later. I am also planning full hydro.

Its not a bad truck, just needs some love. I am going to get a full width 44 and rear 60 to match and I will sell this truck as a full on running farm truck to recoup the funds spent to purchase it.

81 - 100 of 239 Posts