Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm retarted and can't read a wiring diagram in the manual, so are the brake lights at all hooked up to the ecu? Ever since I put it in the glove box they haven't worked. Ive checked the connections on the ecu, and looked at the wires leading to the lights and everything looks fine. Whats the problem?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
dedekid said:
Ok so I'm retarted and can't read a wiring diagram in the manual, so are the brake lights at all hooked up to the ecu?
After you've admitted to being retarded on wiring diagrams the first thing I would do is to learn it. The best way is to look at it little by little each day and let your brain work it out during the night!:D

The brake light wires are green/yellow. They travel from the tail lights goes to the ECU then ends at the brake pedal.

To locate the problem test the wire at differnt locations with a test light to find the dead end. Don't forget the ground too!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I forgot, check the 10 amp fuse to see if it is blown and check at the brake pedal if the switch is activated when you press it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so I checked it out, theres power to the green wire in the fuse box, but by the ecu there isn't. Unless I have a bad ground on my checker. Which wire is the ground?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
dedekid said:
Alright so I checked it out, theres power to the green wire in the fuse box, but by the ecu there isn't. Unless I have a bad ground on my checker. Which wire is the ground?
put something heavy on the brake pedal, check for voltage at the connecter under the passenger side carpet. If you do check the ground wire(white/black stripe) if its loose (right pillar,behind kick panel) There is also another one on the fender but don't concern yourself with this one just yet.

Ok if you have power at the light and it still doesn't work, use a jumper wire to ground the ground wire to the body.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
dedekid said:
Ok so I'm retarted and can't read a wiring diagram in the manual, so are the brake lights at all hooked up to the ecu? Ever since I put it in the glove box they haven't worked. Ive checked the connections on the ecu, and looked at the wires leading to the lights and everything looks fine. Whats the problem?
A brake signal does go to the ECU. Its used to cut fuel to the injectors when the engine RPM is above about 1100 to aid in stopping. If you think it is related to moving the ECU, you might try adding a case ground wire from the ECU to one of the bolts that used to hold the ECU to the sheet metal.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
4CrawlR said:
If you think it is related to moving the ECU, you might try adding a case ground wire from the ECU to one of the bolts that used to hold the ECU to the sheet metal.
I'm pretty sure the ECU doesn't need a ground because my ECU is screwed into the glove box and has no grounding contact whats so ever...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so with pressure on the brake I get power to one of the green wires all the way back to the light. There are 3 other green wires and a white one back there, and maybe one I'm forgetting. So how do i get power to the 3 others?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So screw above post. All the lights light up, its just that the brake light doesn't get more power to make it brighter.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Rescue said:
I'm pretty sure the ECU doesn't need a ground because my ECU is screwed into the glove box and has no grounding contact whats so ever...
Neither is mine, but I have some folks having to do this. There are one or more ground wires in the ECU wiring harness, so assuming those are in good shape, the case is probably fine floating. I'll probably run a ground wire to mine next time I dig into that area just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I had a problem with mine where either from the factory or not someone spliced in a trailer harness and it was a complete cluster f. I had the running and brake lights going to one filmant on the bulb. Took an hour of sorting through it all tossed the trailer harness and all is good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I figured it out out. There was a small slice in the wire that I couldn't really see. It was slice right where it goes from the cab to the underbody and was grounding out on the sharp edge. My ecu isn't grounded either.

Thanks for all your help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts