Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 1984 Yota, everything is good, but the carb. The carb is only one year old, but we all know that carbs arent made for crawling. I want to upgrade to something like propane or .... but i dont know whats the best bang for the buck. I want something thats not going to be to big of a deal to install, like a different type of motor or something like that. I would like to stay with the 22R or an 22RE if there is some kind of EFI swap that is being done. Well if you have an idea of what would be the best deal for me please hit me up, and some info on it (maybe a web sit). thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you search...you better quick before some people rip into you.
Propane is the best you can do!!! i run a carb, wont run EFI becasue of the electronics i dont want to deal with, when i upgrade it will be to Propane,
But yes EFI will do better, but that i leave for the tow rigs not the trails

·
Registered
425 Posts
do a search, buy the ORE with the red yota on it, theres a swap from carb to a manual v dub TBI i think it was, no electronics, just intake and manifold swap.its a full kit

·
Registered
909 Posts
whats the the best bang for the buck
I want something thats not going to be to big of a deal to install
These two statements are mutually exclusive. EFI swaps are invasive, not a single-weekend deal. Propane is, but costs $$$.

Do a google search for 22r efi swap. There's lots of great info out there, and yes some may bring you back here. There's threads here for tweaking the carb too. Carbs aren't that bad. If you can get a good deal on a donor, the awesome motor swaps documented on this board satisfy the 'biggest bang for the buck'.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
if you got all the parts to do an efi swap, its definitley doable in a weekend. you could probably get it done in one day if you got someone helping you. i swapped both cab and engine harnesses, bolted up efi manifold, and had my truck up in running after about 12 hours worth of work. parts total for conversion cost me a little over 5oo bucks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
research

I have done alot of research, but I really wanted some first hand info. I have the issue of ORE and i have talked to that guy about his injection kit, with his kit there is alot to do and you still have to buy the VW parts. As for the propane kit from GOT PROPANE seems to be the way to go, but i have read i few things about propane not working in high heat and very low heat conditions. Has anyone put one of these kits on that lives in, or runs there rig in a high or very low heat place? I dont mind that cost or the propane but I want to be limited to want wheather I can run in.

·
Registered
380 Posts
if the carb is still good and the motor runs clean with it, i would keep it.

i felt the same way that you do on my 84 4x4. im so glad i dint change anything because i really never had problems. i had dual cases and 33s. i had the truck running on its door smashed on a rock untill it ran out of oil pressure and was still smoking 3 tires.

there are alot of tricks on making your stock carb better for wheeling, but i had great luck with mine and it was bone stock.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I have done alot of research, but i gut really wanted some first hand info.
Then you have not searched as all the info on this subject is "first hand info" :shaking:

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
We are in Phoenix-hot. And we also have customers in Alaska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon........The cold problems come in around -10. Mostly when you wouldn't want to be wheeling anyway. The issue is that as the temp drops, so does the pressure in the tank. At worst you could heat the bottle in extreme environments. Big in canada.:beer::usa::usa:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
carb

Its not that the carb is bad or the motor, The truck only stalls when im going down a steep face. It is fine up hill and even side to side. I just want to have it ready for the spring, so I can get back out on the trail. That about the time my back should be normal again. I still like the propane swap.. thanks for those guys that put in the GOOD info. happy wheeling :)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
You might want to look at dual fuel set up's so you can keep your carb (and be smog legal) and use propane when wheelin :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Here you go, first hand info.

My 82 Truggy ran a Weber 32/36 for years, always being frustrating on steep climbs and I finally got sick of it. I researched RE swaps(manifold and 'puter) and the prospect of the junkyard computer, wiring and fuel delivery got me right into the GotPropane kit. It was very easy to install, one wire for the solenoid( I used the old choke power wire), run the lines for the regulator, plumb into the cooling system and check for leaks. I was done(with Bro's help) in 4 hours!

I've been wheelin' with it for a year and it has never burped, hiccuped or let me down at all. It runs at any angle, if I gear stall it fires right back up and there is a noticeable increase in power at all RPM's. Living in 'Vegas, the temps get around 115 in the summer and I've felt no difference in performance. I do cover my bottle with a light jacket for direct sunlight protection, but it's probably not nessecary. My 22r is mostly stock, 9.5:1 comp., running a stock cam and a NW header. I plan on building a 12.5:1 'pane engine that should rip!!!

Given the options, I would definetly go Propane, for the simplicity and performance advantage. My only gripe with the propane conversion would be the range of the 8 gallon forklift tank. You can get 10 gallon tanks, or a larger underbody tank meant for a car( although Cary doesn't recommend them!!) for this problem. My truck is 99.2% off-road, so it's not that big of deal, but a daily driver would be filling up alot. Another benefit of the propane, I am now smog exempt in Nevada. I only have to show the DMV the conversion is strictly propane( not dual fuel ), and they sign me off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thats good to hear

One more thing, about how long does a 8 or 10 gallon tank last? when the spring hits like to go wheeling for a week at a time. With gas Ill fill my truck and one 5 gallon can before I go, and I have more then I need. How does the propane ad up?

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
Here you go, first hand info.

My 82 Truggy ran a Weber 32/36 for years, always being frustrating on steep climbs and I finally got sick of it. I researched RE swaps(manifold and 'puter) and the prospect of the junkyard computer, wiring and fuel delivery got me right into the GotPropane kit. It was very easy to install, one wire for the solenoid( I used the old choke power wire), run the lines for the regulator, plumb into the cooling system and check for leaks. I was done(with Bro's help) in 4 hours!

I've been wheelin' with it for a year and it has never burped, hiccuped or let me down at all. It runs at any angle, if I gear stall it fires right back up and there is a noticeable increase in power at all RPM's. Living in 'Vegas, the temps get around 115 in the summer and I've felt no difference in performance. I do cover my bottle with a light jacket for direct sunlight protection, but it's probably not nessecary. My 22r is mostly stock, 9.5:1 comp., running a stock cam and a NW header. I plan on building a 12.5:1 'pane engine that should rip!!!

Given the options, I would definetly go Propane, for the simplicity and performance advantage. My only gripe with the propane conversion would be the range of the 8 gallon forklift tank. You can get 10 gallon tanks, or a larger underbody tank meant for a car( although Cary doesn't recommend them!!) for this problem. My truck is 99.2% off-road, so it's not that big of deal, but a daily driver would be filling up alot. Another benefit of the propane, I am now smog exempt in Nevada. I only have to show the DMV the conversion is strictly propane( not dual fuel ), and they sign me off.

Nice rig!:smokin:

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
if the carb is still good and the motor runs clean with it, i would keep it.

i felt the same way that you do on my 84 4x4. im so glad i dint change anything because i really never had problems. i had dual cases and 33s. i had the truck running on its door smashed on a rock untill it ran out of oil pressure and was still smoking 3 tires.

there are alot of tricks on making your stock carb better for wheeling, but i had great luck with mine and it was bone stock.
don't fix it if it isn't broken

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
carb

Yeah i was happy with the truck till it came to really off camber or slow steep drop offs, the truck like to stall out when im in those spots. Im also running duels and 4.7 gears

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Not that this is any help for you but I'm about to switch to EFI..I'm hesitant because my carb runs so well now. But with my duals it will be nice.

Anyway, I got lucky and got a 88 EFI parts truck (purchased for a newer cab and IFS rear), so the EFI will just be a bonus and should be (hopefully) somewhat simple. However, I am an idiot, so I'm sure it will be a huge undertaking for me.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My 8 gallon forklift tank will last all day wheelin', with a 1/4 tank to spare. That's driving to a close, local trail, wheelin and driving home. If it's far from home, I tow it and use a half tank a day. I don't stand on the throttle alot, but last year at the Hump N' Bump in Logandale, I did hit the dunes a bit, moderate throttle, and didn't seem to use that much more fuel. Mileage is hard to figure in my truggy, as it has no speedometer/odometer. It would be measured in hours I guess, so 8-10 sounds about right.

You can get the 10 gallon tanks, or run dual tanks and switch them when needed. There's a Ranger in this years Top Truck Challenge that has a Big Block Ford and he runs dual propane tanks. Not sure if you could run them in series for one large tank, but it could be possible. Good question for Cary.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment Cary. My rig wouldn't perform like it does without your kit. Hope to get to Arizona this year and show it off in person.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts