Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:
95 Classic with 300TDI engine. I’m driving along the other day and without warning I suddenly have no power steering. As I had fitted a rebuilt Meridian Auto Parts steering box about 500 miles previously, I assumed it was a dead PAS pump. I did a little research and found a NAPA 20-874 pump that is “almost” a direct fit. (Needs the Rover pulley pressed on).
I installed the NAPA pump and still no power steering…… I then came to the conclusion that by default the rebuilt steering box must be faulty. Got another one under warranty and fitted it this morning, still no power steering. All hoses are new; I’m using quality ATF and have bled the steering box. I drove around for a while tonight to see if that would help, but no change. Anyone care to suggest what might be the problem?

Andy
PS. I did search but didn't come up with an answer.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
My bet's a second bad box. The same guy at Meridian that built your first box built the second. Though I've had pretty good luck at Meridian the few times I've bought racks from them, when something in a system fails, always suspect the piece you monkeyed with last.

If you haven't sent it back for a core yet, stuff the original leaky box back in and see what you get. You don't even have to bolt it up...Just hook up the hoses to it and see if you can turn it by hand with the engine running.

jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I think I may have it figured out. The NAPA pump I fitted is a CB replacement for the V8 engine. The V8 pump runs clockwise, the TDI pump runs anti-clockwise. I don't think the pump will build any pressure if it's turning backwards. I checked on a couple of British parts sites and the part numbers are not the same.
I'll PM Pendy.....he'll know what to do.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
that was my first thought. after going through a number of brake master cylinders thinking they were all bad, i came to the sad realization that implementation was indeed the problem.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
The power steering pump is reverse rotation on the 300 tdi. I think corvette uses that direction. So maybe a corvette version of the pump you installed.

JP

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Godammit, never leave your computer logged in when that SOB AFI is around.

In my defense, he didn't find the bad relay any faster than I did.

(damned Defender wiring! :flipoff2:)

The sad thing is that we had all the technology necessary, but it still took us fawking hours to find a stupid bad relay. We had spare ECUs to try, all the test instruments you could ask for and a damned burned up diode in an EFI relay was our downfall.

I'm told I have to give him credit for the speed with which we unloaded a dead Disco. I think that's what you get when you don't tie 'em down. Pics to come.

PT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts