Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would see what, if any ideas you guys might have for a problem I have. My brake master cylinder is in the way of my new engine. I have debated the Ford master cylinder replacement, but I think it is still too long, and I have debated angling the stock Zuk booster assembly, but it now appears that will not give me enough clearance. I'm starting to look at a dual master from the local sand sport place. Looksnice and small. :) I think I have about 6" of space for the M/C.

Thanks!

-Wayne

·
Registered
310 Posts
maybe an angled bracket with a bell crank, or an under floor street rod assy.
l8tr , scott
By the way we took fifth a the C.R.C.A. ROCK BOGS/STOCK CLASS
wish it was a better run as Gary and Pam were there.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
horse_with_no_name said:
maybe an angled bracket with a bell crank, or an under floor street rod assy.
l8tr , scott

Maybe a set-up out of a van. The master cyls are parallel with the firewall.
Travis..

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The people have spoken...show us your problems!

Never seen any of the van ones, sounds interesting. There are lots of blingbling ones for rods or rails. I bet rail stuff is lees $ and even possibly metric.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
rotozuk said:
I thought I would see what, if any ideas you guys might have for a problem I have. My brake master cylinder is in the way of my new engine. I have debated the Ford master cylinder replacement, but I think it is still too long, and I have debated angling the stock Zuk booster assembly, but it now appears that will not give me enough clearance. I'm starting to look at a dual master from the local sand sport place. Looksnice and small. :) I think I have about 6" of space for the M/C.

Thanks!

-Wayne
Cut holes in the floor and Flintstone it!!!.........:flipoff2:

Seriously, I think that the low, floor mounted M/C like on older Jeeps might be the way to go. But post some pics so we can see what´s going on.

See what happens when you go off the beaten path and try something new?? I´m suffering with a Swift 1.6 16V swap (fawking wires everywhere). I can only imagine what it´d be like doing a Mitsu......:p

·
Registered
330 Posts
deisel power brake,s

have looked at a deisel setup very compact and powerful

just a thought .....they run off the power steering pump...

the only down side is if the motor stalls you wont have power

from the steering pump any more ....just some thing to think

about

·
Registered
462 Posts
Unless I'm missing something here you have fab skills right? :flipoff2: Move the thing over and mod your pedal assembly to compensate. Look at the clutch pedal and assembly for an example of what I mean. It may take a little tinkering and thinking to get the throw right but its the simplest and cheapest way to do it... ;)

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the responses!

I do not have a current photo, but this will help give you an idea. The
engine now sits further back, so the intake hits the M/C.

I'll get a photo tonight.

As a bit of trivia, the newer zuks (fuel injected) use a different booster and M/C. They are more compact. I think the measurement from firewall to end of M/C is about 7-1/2" if my memory is correct.

Slowzuki, I have thought about the Bronco setup, and was planning to do
something like that a while back, but was not sure how to get the
linkage all in there.. Those images help a lot! The bellcrank is
different then what I was thinking. Thanks!

Have not noticed that Vans did anything different. Any chance you know
what make to look out for?

As far as moving the unit over, that just does not seem to be a good
option to me. Too much work! That brake booster is kind of the big nut
that holds the car together. I'll take another look into that option
though.. Maybe with a clear mind it will look better.

I have also looked into what the hotrod market has to offer, but none
of them seem like a good option, and get pretty spendy. For the same
kind of money, I might as well go race style, and have nice dual CNC
M/Cs with a ballance bar for proportioning. (bling bling)

Thanks again.. I'll post up a photo tomorrow.

-Wayne

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The mc and booster in an 89 Tracker sticks out around 7 inches. It might work for ya.:D

·
Registered
12,996 Posts

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Have not noticed that Vans did anything different. Any chance you know
what make to look out for?

Dodge vans from early 70s up to ?. My dads 73 has this 90 deg set-up. I went and looked at it, it's a little big though. I like the idea of using a m/c without a booster. I did this on my cuda and it worked great. The best part is if your engine dies, your brakes act exactly the same.
Travis..

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Roto I have lot of Zuks including EFI stuff. I try and remember to check differentences in early and late tomorrow night. Let me know if you need EFI set-up.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some pics..

As you can see, things are a little tight on that side of the motor.

With the design of the front clip, I now have a little more room up front, I might be able to move the entire engine forward about 1-1/2 inches, but I will have to confirm what issues that will cause. It would probably take about a nights worth of seady work to complete.

-Wayne

·
Registered
68 Posts
This might be a very dumb idea, but what about recessing just that part of the firewall. taking the round of the booster and sleeving it back into the firewall. Granted you would have to move the pedels(sp) But your linkage would be the same you might have to custom fab the arms for the pedels. It might be worth a shot or am I making no sense?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts