Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starter gears stripped??? Ok, for awhile now, I have had problems with my starter. every once in awhile, it wont engage the flywheel. but if i shift through the gears, it usually finally locks up and starts the truck fine. When the gears fianlly enguage, it works smooth anf flawlessly, but now, it wont enguage the flywheel at all. i have not pulled the starter to see for my self, but i wanted to know if any body else has had this problem. I jsut hope the fly wheel gear is still intact, because i dont want to pull the engine. Any ideas guys.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guys dont make me break down and go to the other boards. there have to be some decent mog guys here.

Or should I be asking how to fit Mog axles under a 2004 TJ, with an LT1 and about 800hp, with a bumpin 2000watt stereo.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Flasher

Puffdragon said:
come on guys dont make me break down and go to the other boards. there have to be some decent mog guys here.

Im decent.... havnt done an indecent exposure thing (flashed someone) in a long time. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Sorry I cant help ya though.. aint had a problem with my starter.

I'll see what I can scroung up for you though.

·
Team RedNeck
786 Posts
I'm sorry but i'm new to the Mog stuff but on Chevys the ring gear can be pulled off the flywheel and turned around and pressed back on. If GM can think of this them i'm sure that those Smart Germans would do it too. But again i haven't ben into one so i don't know.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
From one smart Mog dude (not me)

It's about a 5 minute check to see if the ring gear is toast. Where the bell housing meets the engine is an inspection plate held with two M6 bolts. (10MM Head) Remove them and you can visually inspect the ring gear.

Easier than removing the starter. Both ring gears and flywheels are readily available. My bet is that it is the starter.

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Expedition Imports Corporation
Phone: 707-643-6757
Fax: 707-643-2998

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
from Mogtech mail list.

I just had this problem on my 406. I don't know if it would relate to your 404, but a starter is a starter is a starter.....

Same symptoms. I pulled the starter and the pinion gear was totally stripped. The most difficult part was getting at the bolts. (Which most likely will be different on the 404.....) Do yourself a favor and order the gear yourself. (I went with Eurotech). I took my starter to the local bosch place, and they never did get the pinion gear - after a month!!!!! I got it in 2 days from Eurotech. My flywheel was in good shape, the pinion gear is brass (?) and I guess is designed to fail before the flywheel.

Time: Took me 3 days to get the bolts out - I had to give up a few
times..... Only took an hour or so to put back in. But, I'm not a
mechanic, don't even play one on tv.. :)

You'll know as soon as you pull the starter.

Take care,
Neil Kelly
1979 406 Tipper/Plow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts