Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Some of prototype buggies in Sweden have FWD autos that is mounted lengthwise It's great when you need a small and light engine/tranny package.

Lars Dahl has built two buggies with FWD auto
http://www.engbergracing.com/spider/

·
Registered
571 Posts
JR said:
Running drive shafts off either side of a transaxle, thats what I'm talking about. Kind of like the Rhino :barf: , but different.
Isn't there someone who competes with a transaxle/no Tcase set-up?
Matt Petersen competes in the UROC Pro Mods with a setup like this. He locked the transaxle and uses driveshaft disconnects for burns.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Bryan Whaley here on the East Coast just finished up his buggy and competed down in Jellico for the first time with it. There is a ton of pics here:
www.whaleyent.com

and a ton of info here in the general discussion area. search under whaley enterprises or vorlando.

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DOUG38S said:
Bryan Whaley here on the East Coast just finished up his buggy and competed down in Jellico for the first time with it. There is a ton of pics here:
www.whaleyent.com

and a ton of info here in the general discussion area. search under whaley enterprises or vorlando.
Is this it? Can't find any info on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
I can't find the thread, but I think it was a saturn engine and auto trans...

I really like the idea in certain applications. I think you will have a little more space if it was mounted like a traditional engine. You just end up with a vey short tranny/t-case.

Some interesting combos could be...

-VR6 VW with an auto. They installed these in the small winebago motorhomes, strong, pretty light, and compact.

-Northstar or shortstar

One thing to watch for is unequal front axle models. This allows you to have a little bit more room for the driveshafts. VWs have this type tranny.
I really like the yellow rock spider.....very small, light, nimble...

Just a few thoughts

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
JR what about a corvair powerglide

·
Registered
391 Posts
This one is Australia has been running reliably for about 2 years now.
drivetrain is from a Holden Camira (German? made by Opel). driving late model Nissan Patrol axles. goes pretty well.

Photod don't really show much, but were all I could find...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
ItsaCJ6 said:
JR what about a corvair powerglide
I have thought about this as I have a 65 corvair with a few engines and such laying around..while the corvair does use a power glide the differential is between the tranny and engine. Also the corvair motor is not very light and not easily fuel injected..but it could be done..

As for using a transaxle setup in rockbuggy,,with one comp done, so far things seem to be holding up,, we had some drive shaft issues but we are working on correcting those and getting a driveshaft disconnect soon. I dont really think that using a transaxle is a great advantage. We did it to be different and because we could...It was a cheap drivetrain too... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I am running saturn d-train with a sammi case. looked like bryan's held up so I should be in the clear with 42'' :grinpimp:

If you are looking for ideas on attaching car axle to pinion flange, just machine a saturn or whatever car you are using, spindal down on a lathe, drill the holes and bolt er up. that is what i did to the t-case flange.

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whaley Enterprises said:
As for using a transaxle setup in rockbuggy, I dont really think that using a transaxle is a great advantage. We did it to be different and because we could...It was a cheap drivetrain too...
I know how to build an expensive rig :D, looking to build the other way, too.
Non competition, something that can take being bashed at the hammers over and over.
My first thought was 1700lbs of 2 litre Honda w/4speed auto transaxle turning backwards with upside-down 9/60s and queer steer.
Thanks for the links and info, guys.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
JR said:
I know how to build an expensive rig :D, looking to build the other way, too.
Non competition, something that can take being bashed at the hammers over and over.
My first thought was 1700lbs of 2 litre Honda w/4speed auto transaxle turning backwards with upside-down 9/60s and queer steer.
Thanks for the links and info, guys.
I just don't see the point in that for a trail rig. A comp rig...maybe, but not with that gutless motor. You're reminding me of a friend of mine who got into wheeling about the same time I did except he started out in mud. He built everything HUGE and heavy. When he found out that the huge and heavy couldn't take him where he wanted in the rocks he went to the other end of the extreme. After a year or 2 screwing around with sammis now he's back to the drawing board trying to find a happy medium for a good trail rig.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Whaley Enterprises said:
I have thought about this as I have a 65 corvair with a few engines and such laying around..while the corvair does use a power glide the differential is between the tranny and engine. Also the corvair motor is not very light and not easily fuel injected..but it could be done..
propane

1 - 20 of 56 Posts