Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new rifle last week and have run into some serious issues. Well, one really. I was breaking in the barrel and adjusting the scope as necassary to zero at 100 yards. Scope is a Redfield 6-18 5-star and rifle is a brand new Remington SPS Tactical in .308.

I bore sighted to get close and found out that I was NO WHERE NEAR where I bore sighted to. Shooting a standard USPSA target with a 1" tape square at the top edge of the lower "A" zone, I was shooting at the very BOTTOM of the target.

I adjusted the scope to where the crosshairs were on the bullet hit and I realized then that I was at the top end of the scope adjustment.

So, I can hit dead on at 100 yards, but anything further and the rifle shoots low. I have no more upsies on my scope, and I have no desire to shoot this rifle at 100 yards only. The original intent was for shooting 600 to 800 yards (maybe more) for MOR matches at USPSA multi gun matches.

On a positive note, it does shoot sub 1-moa at 100 yards (1/2" group) while breaking in the barrel.

To break it in, as per my gunsmith, I cleaned the rifle, shot 1 and cleaned for 10 rounds, shot 2 and cleaned for 10 rounds, and then shot 3 and cleaned for 21.

After 20 rounds, I noticed considerable ease in cleaning and far less copper fouling than the first 10 or so.

Did I do something wrong...??? Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Try larue's mounts.

I hear it instantly zeroes your sights, brings you to 1/4 MOA and cooks pancakes.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Might wanna try a 20 or 30 moa base to adjust it. How far out are you trying to shoot??

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tried the LaRue Tactical ones, they fuck up bacon and mine only did waffles....

Well, no, I didn't, but you get the idea.

Leupold bases and rings. I was wondering if a 20-30 MOA base was the correct solution. I can try it, but currently Brownells is out of stock on all 20+ moa bases for REM SA 700 rifles.

Guess I could try Pete....I know that this is not an EBR, but he does have the deals.

Oh, and I would like to shoot 800 yards, possibly a grand.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Tried the LaRue Tactical ones, they fuck up bacon and mine only did waffles....

Well, no, I didn't, but you get the idea.

Leupold bases and rings. I was wondering if a 20-30 MOA base was the correct solution. I can try it, but currently Brownells is out of stock on all 20+ moa bases for REM SA 700 rifles.

Guess I could try Pete....I know that this is not an EBR, but he does have the deals.

Oh, and I would like to shoot 800 yards, possibly a grand.
Its its maxed out at 100 yards and you are considering 1K yard shots I'd say a 30 MOA base but either Brain or 300MSniper can chime in. Also check out snipershide.com forums. SnipersHide is kinda like the PBB of LD shooting so search before you ask or you'll get a lot of flak for it

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would definatly say theres some sort of problem, most likely with your bases. You should have enough adj on that scope to easily shoot point of aim to at least 500yds, not be maxed out at 100.

Some rifles designed specifically for long range have the base point on the gun preset to add the extra MOA into the standard bases. They did this on my Winchester. If this was the case you should have been way high rather than low.

My first thought would be the wrong bases to start with or that the base is improperly seated. I had issues with a Savage tactical. The bases that were supposed to fit according to the base maker, didn't. The other thing might be a bad scope. If you have another to toss on you might eliminate this.

Have fun with the new toy. I used to really enjoy shooting my match grade M1A at 600 yds with iron sights or my custom Mod 70 win, in NRA highpower matches. Unfortunatly there just weren't enough ranges past 200yds around me to be able to get really good at 600-1000yds.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Another thing I forgot to ask is what rings do you have and how are they attached to the rifle. It could be that you have 20 moa rings, but they are backwards. It

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Leupold bases came off of another REM 700 in 223 and it was fine to 300 yards. I pulled them off and put them back on exactly how they came off.

The bases can only go on one way, I do believe....

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Haven't needed to try this myself and it "shouldn't" apply here but a guy I know found on cheaper scopes, when he is having difficulty getting them adjusted right he said he screws the adjustments all the way in and out the full range then starts over.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
or try the proper way:flipoff2:
get some shim stock yr gunsmith will know about this stuff
What do you think that shim he puts in there is? It's fucking tape... It's a little thicker then your average tape, but some masking tape should work just fine.

·
Registered
'73 Scout
10,455 Posts
or try the proper way:flipoff2:
get some shim stock yr gunsmith will know about this stuff
By calculation, to get out to 400 one needs rougly .04" of "shim" iffen the scope is zeroed at 100. That said, off the cuff it sounds like the wrong base (not necessarily wrong rings).

Id be leary of shimming except as a means to find out how much too short the base is.

D.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
What do you think that shim he puts in there is? It's fucking tape... It's a little thicker then your average tape, but some masking tape should work just fine.
its actually metal or copper or brass the make plastic too but no paper shim stock asshat:flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
its actually metal or copper or brass the make plastic too but no paper shim stock asshat:flipoff2:
When I worked at Dicks we had little slips of basically construction paper that had adhesive on one side and thats what we shimmed scopes with...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do not want to put any tape or shim under the rings, especially the front, that would make it worse.

Iffen I put it under the rear, then that would move the scope in the correct direction it needs to go.

I am looking at 40 moa base or possibly a different "trusted" scope, but this is a Redfield and not some BSA junk. The scope was perfect on a different rifle.

Thanks again!

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
It seems people are trying to overcome a problem, not fix it.
There is something wrong if the scope is maxed out at 100yrds.
I used a simple Leupold Rifleman in a pair millet rings on a simple rem too in .308 and easily zerod at 300yrds.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correct. I have a 3-9 leupold that is trusted I am going to try this weekend. Just can not get out to the range enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts